If you are a Windows 10 user, then you might encounter this error 0xc0000185. You might have faced this issue after rebooting the system. This error code usually comes with the message stating “The boot configuration data for your P.C is missing or contains more”. However, if you detach the USB device from Windows 10 and then restart the operating system, you will continue to receive this error. This is really annoying and henceforth subjected to immediate removal. As a result, follow the guidelines carefully to resolve error code 0xc0000185 within a couple of minutes and avoid future discrepancies.
How can you Fix Error 0xc0000185 in Windows 10?
Go through the under-mentioned steps generously to fix error code 0xc0000185.
Solution 1: Repair your PC with the Help of Windows 10 Installation Media
- First, you need to charge your device.
- Next, you need to connect the Windows 10 Installation Media into CD or DVD after you start the operating system.
- Furthermore, restart the operating system by using Installation Media present inside the device.
- Now, retrace back to the black screen stating “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD” in which you need to press any button on the keyboard to boot from your Installation Media.”.
- When you find the next screen, you need to set the correct time as well as the date.
- Then, choose to Repair Your Computer button which is available in the lower left side of the screen. After that, you will find Choose an Option window on the screen.
- Choose Troubleshoot feature available in that window. After that, you have to choose the Advanced Option feature available in the Troubleshoot menu.
- Also, choose the Automatic Repair feature available in the Advanced Option. Furthermore, you have to choose the operating system that you are using.
- Windows 10 will begin the scanning process and thereby fix those errors which hamper the system to put up error code 0xc0000185. After the completion of the process, remove the installation media disk. Then restart the device normally.
- Finally, you need to examine whether this Windows error code still persists or not.
Solution 2: Revamp Boot Configuration Data
In order to revamp boot configuration data, you need to go through the below steps.
- Again, you need to insert Windows 10 Installation Media. Then, perform a thorough reboot of the operating system.
- As soon as the device starts, you will receive the popup where you will be asked to tap any key in order to boot from CD or DVD.
- Now, you need to choose the correct time as well as keyboard type similar to the first solution.
- Next, choose to Repair your computer button available at the lower side of the screen.
- Thereafter, you have to choose the Troubleshoot option present in the Choose an Options window.
- Then, you need to choose Advanced Options present in the Troubleshoot menu.
- Now, choose Command Prompt in order to set the tool.
- Next, write BOOTREC /FIXMBR in the Command Prompt window.
- Afterward, hit the Enter button.
- Then, provide BOOTREC/FIXBOOT again in the same way. After that, tap on Enter in order to launch the command. Next, you need to give BOOTREC/REBUILDBCD. After that, tap on the Enter button.
When the process gets over, quit from the Windows 10 Installation Media from the CD or DVD ROM. Finally, restart your PC and examine if you are still receiving this irritating error code 0xc0000185.
Solution 3: Run System Restore
We advise you to keep a backup of the confidential files and folders before you proceed with the below fix.
- In order to begin, plug in the Windows 10 Installation Media to the device once again.
- Then, start restarting the P.C.
- When the device gets started, you will receive a popup where you will be asked to press the key in order to boot from the installation media. In that juncture, tap any key present on the keyboard.
- Choose the correct time as well as date once again when the window gets visible.
- Moreover, navigate to Repair your Computer. Next, choose Troubleshoot option.
- After that, choose Advanced options present in the Troubleshoot window.
- Tap System Restore option.
- Upon successful completion of System Restore, restart the operating system. Finally, examine properly to see whether the error 0xc0000185 still persists or not.
Solution 4: Detach All Peripherals
Defective peripherals can activate this disgusting Windows error code 0xc0000185. First, you should detach all the devices connected to the P.C. This will comprise mouse and keyboards as well provide the configuration permits to do so.
- Now, boot your PC to inspect whether this error persists or not.
- If you don’t face any hurdle during the booting process, then it implies peripherals are not working properly. Henceforth, they are subjected to immediate replacement.
- If you wish to find the offender, you need to connect your peripherals serially and examine whether the issue continues or not.
Solution 5: Cleaning the Disk
Your computer is liable to save all the temporary files or folders since you browse on a daily basis. These useless files can sometimes take huge shape leading to this aforementioned error. However, you can easily get rid of these unwanted files if you adhere to the professional tool. Go through the below mentioned steps to know the process.
- First, navigate to the Start option. Then, enter Disk Cleanup in the search bar.
- After that, establish the tool.
- Moreover, choose the disk you like to clean. The tool will give you the notification regarding the amount of space you want to free up.
- Tap OK till the process gets over.
Solution 6: Examining Hard Drive
When it comes to faulty hardware, it is needless to say that it can trigger error 0xc0000185. Also, you can easily examine the health of your P.C if you install one of the software mentioned in this article. Before you seek any professional help, you need to examine the hard drive once in order to get rid of this issue. However, if it appears faulty, then it is subjected to removal.
Solution 7: Delete Recently Installed Software
In some cases, you might encounter this annoying error code owing to incompatible apps or programs. Henceforth, if the 0xc0000185 error takes place after the installation of the new software, we advise you to uninstall that particular software and examine whether the issue continues or not.
Solution 8: Running BSOD Troubleshooter
This is an important step to resolve the aforementioned Windows 10 issue. You just have to run the BSOD Troubleshooter properly by following the below steps
- In order to begin the process, navigate to Settings.tab.
- After that, click on Update & Security.
- Next, tap the Troubleshoot option.
- Thereafter, move to the option named as Find and fix other problems.
- Finally, you have to choose and establish BSOD troubleshooter.
With this, we come to the end of this article. This article gives you the quick and effective hacks to eradicate this annoying error code 0xc0000185. Moreover, refer the user guide to have a quick glance. If you have additional information pertaining to this error code, provide that in the comment section present at the bottom.