Bringing back the sound icon when the volume icon is missing in Windows 10 is not an easy job and also a frustrating situation for you. A lot of people are experiencing this problem with their Windows 10 when they find that their speaker icon disappears from the taskbar.
Basically, the problem appears after updating the Windows device. In case, if you have installed a corrupted sound driver or the driver installed on your device is not compatible with your device, then you might face this annoying situation.
Apart from that, an outdated sound driver is also responsible for this frustrating situation. If you are getting the same error, don’t worry. You are not the only one who is encountering this problem. You can easily fix the problem with the help of these solutions stated below.
[Solved] Volume Icon is Missing in Windows 10
Based on the causes for the volume icon missing, here are some troubleshooting fixes which are sufficient enough to get rid of this situation. Hence, try these methods.
Solution 1: Ensure that Volume Icon is Turned On
When you encounter a problem, make sure that the volume icon is turned on. If you found that the volume icon is not enabled, then you need to turn this on. To do this, follow the steps mentioned in the section below.
- First of all, launch the Settings section on your device and then move to the System Preferences option.
- Thereafter, move to the Notifications and Actions section. You will find the available application notifications section. Now, make sure that the Audio is set to ON.
Finally, check whether the problem gets resolved or not, otherwise, move to the next section.
Solution 2: Run Local Group Policy Editor
In case, you are still getting the same issue, then you need to change the system settings. The Local Group Policy Editor tool will available to do that. To change the settings of the Volume icon, follow the section below and apply them accordingly.
- At first, launch the Run window by pressing the Windows key and R key together. After that, type gpedit.msc in the Run window and hit the Enter button.
- Thereafter, move to the User Configuration section which is available in the left section of the system screen. Next, move to the Administrative Templates section and then click on the Start Menu. Then go to the Taskbar.
- Later, search for the Remove the Volume Control icon option from the right panel and double-click on it.
- Due to this, the Properties window will open. You need to make sure that the ‘Not Configured’ or ‘Disabled’ option is selected.
- Finally, click on the OK button to save the changes.
Solution 3: Change the Text Size to 125%
You can fix the volume icon missing Windows 10 issue by changing the size of the text to 125 %. To do so, follow the steps mentioned in the section below.
- Right-click on the empty space on the home screen and then select the Display Setting from the drop-down menu list.
- Now, the “Customized your Display” window will appear on the system screen. Then set the size of the text to 125%. The text size normally set into 100% but changed it to 125 %.
After setting the text size into 125%, exit from the window and check whether the volume icon appears on the taskbar or not. Otherwise, move to the next section.
Solution 4: Log Out and then Log in from WIndows 10
This is the easiest way to bring back the sound icon, according to the users. Simply log out from the Windows 10 and then log in back. To do that, follow the steps mentioned in the section below.
First of all, press the Start button and then click on the Change Account Settings option. After that, click on the Sign Out option.
Thereafter, enter the username and password in the respective field. Then press the Log in option to sign in to your account. Most of the time after doing this the volume icon appears on the Taskbar.
Solution 5: Restart the Explorer
If the above methods are not able to resolve the problem, then you need to restart the Explorer with the help of the Task Manager.
Therefore, go through the steps, mentioned underneath.
- At first, press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc at the same time to launch the Task Manager section. After that, navigate to the Details section and then right-click on the ‘explorer.exe’ after locating it.
- Now, select the End Task from the drop-down menu. Thereafter, click on the Windows key and R button to launch the Run window. Then, type explorer in the Run box and press the Enter button.
Hopefully, the sound icon now appears on the Taskbar. If not, then apply the next solution.
Solution 6: Add Values to the Registry
A certain number of people have reported that by simply adding values to the Registry section can resolve the problem. But this is not an easy task. After doing so, you might lose your registry. To avoid such situations, it is advisable to create a backup of your registry.
Therefore, to add a new value in the registry. For that, go through the steps mentioned in the section below.
- First of all, press the Windows key and X key to launch the Power User Mode and then choose the Command prompt as an admin.
- Now, enter the following commands one by one and hit the Enter button each time.
- reg add “HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop” /v “HungAppTimeout” /t REG_SZ /d “10000” /f
- reg add “HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop” /v “WaitToKillAppTimeout” /t REG_SZ /d “20000” /f
After successfully performing the above commands, exit from the command window. Now, check if the problem gets fixed.
Solution 7: Update the Audio Drivers
An outdated audio driver can lead you to this situation. Hence, you need to update the sound driver in order to fix the volume icon missing Windows 10.
To update it, go through the steps described in the section below.
- Click on the Windows key + X key together and then choose the Device Manager from the drop-down menu.
- After that, choose the Sound, Video and Game Controller section under the Device Manager section.
- Now, right-click on it and select the Update Driver from the list. Thereafter, select the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ to download the latest version of the sound driver.
- When the downloading process gets completed, install it on your device. After completing the process, restart the system and check if the problem gets resolved or not.
Hopefully, you have successfully read all the methods described in the above section and then apply one by one to check which one is suitable in your case.