SNES Mini or SNES Classic as we know is a dedicated home video game console. It was released by Nintendo. It acts as an emulator for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System SNES.
The colloquially called SNES Mini or SNES Classic in Europe and Australia is also known as the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super NES. However, in Japan, it is called the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Famicom.
Nintendo absolutely surprised everybody with their Super SNES Classic after the legendary NES Classic. It is a small version of the classic Super Nintendo console. And it comes with 21 of its inbuilt features.
In addition to that, it has an HDMI out and is USB powered. The SNES also comes with 2 controllers. Moreover, the location of the Power button remains the same as the original.
If you want to access all these features then you need to know how to set up a Nintendo SNES Classic Edition. Here, you will get a clear insight into this entertainment system.
How to Set Up a Nintendo SNES Classic Edition?
It hardly takes a minute to set up the SNES Classic because it requires only manually connecting cables into ports and then switching on. The basic set up process includes very simple steps. You need to start by :
- Connecting the power to the back of the consoles towards the wall.
- Then, connect the HDMI cable to the back of the console to the television.
- Next, flip open the front of the console.
- After that plugin the two controllers into the two ports that are in front.
- Slide the power slider on the upper left to turn On the console.
- A small red light in front will indicate if the console is On or not.
Finally, choose the game that you want to play. You do not need to worry about any additional setup process.
How to Add More Games to the Super NES Classic?
The preinstalled games and the system data together takes up only 250 MB. It is 512 MB of flash storage and has over 250 MB more space to add more games.
Now, you can easily add more games by using some SNES ROMS and the Hakchi 2 program on your Windows PC. You need to have them installed on your device.
Using hakchi2 CE
If you have a Hakchi 2 CE already installed on your device, it is recommended that you uninstall and reinstall it. Also, the following steps are applicable for a fresh, unmodified version of SNES Classic.
The version should not have tampered otherwise the steps may not work for you.
- Go to any verified gaming website and download hakchi2 CE. It will be in the form of a zip file so will need to extract it to your computer.
- After you have finished extracting it, run the hakchi.exe.
- Next, from the settings, go to Kernel then Install or Repair, then hit Yes to confirm.
- If this is the first time you are installing the hakchi2 then you may be asked to install drivers.
- You only have to install this one time, to connect your console to the computer. After connecting, hold the Reset button and while holding it turns the power switch On. Then, release it after a few seconds.
- Press on “Add more games” and then add the ROMs that you want on your SNES Classic. Note that you will be able to add multiple ROMs at the same time.
- Highlight all of the games you added. Then, right-click to select “Download box art for selected games”.
- You can even select each game separately, just press browse to add your own box art. This will allow you to edit information and other things under the section of Game options.
- Now, select the option “Synchronize selected games with NES/SNES Mini”. Immediately it will start to upload the ROMs on the system and after this, you will be able to play the added games.
The steps above are applicable to a computer running the Windows OS. If you happen to be using a Mac device then the steps for adding games are different and these steps will not work.
The Nintendo SNES Classic Edition is great because it supports so many great games. It has its 21 retro hits that include platformers series like fighter games, role-playing games and many more. Thus, with the proper setup process, you can enjoy this entertainment gadget.