It is necessary to update Discord to enjoy its latest functionalities.
Despite the constant development, Discord is still held by bugs. Discord not updating is one of those bugs that bother users.
So, if you are looking for how to update Discord, then you are in the right place. Just follow the methods discussed below and you will again do the stuff you previously used to do in Discord.
Learn How to Fix Discord Update Loop with a Single Attempt:
Here are a couple of methods that will help you to update Discord without any hassles.
Method 1: Clean Reinstall Discord
In this method, delete some Discord file manually and perform a clean installation as stated underneath:
- Right-click Discord icon in the system tray and select the option ‘Quit Discord’ from the drop-down menu.
- Press the Ctrl, Shift, and Esc’ keys simultaneously to open the Task Manager window.
- Make sure that the Discord process is not listed on the Task Manager window.
- If the Discord process is visible, then select it and click on the ‘End Task’ button.
- Now, hold down the Windows key and press ‘R’ to open the Run dialog box.
- Type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the Run dialog box and press Enter to get the list of applications installed on your computer.
- Search for Discord, select it and tap on the ‘Uninstall’ button.
- Then, end this process by following the on-screen prompts.
- After that, open another Run application and type ‘%appdata%’ in it.
- Hit the ‘Enter’ key to execute the command in the previous step.
- Find out the Discord folder, right-click on it and select the ‘Delete’ option.
- If any additional prompts appear, then click ‘OK’ or ‘Yes’ to confirm the action.
- Press the backspace key on the keyboard and double click the local folder displayed on the computer screen.
- After deleting Discord related files, download Discord installer from the internet.
- Then, double-click on the downloaded file to run the installer and finish the process with on-screen instructions.
Method 2: Run as Admin
To apply this method, you must run the Discord app with administrator privileges.
- If the Discord app is opened on your computer, then close and reboot the system.
- If the Discord app starts automatically, then also you will need to close it.
- Check the system tray to ensure that the Discord app is not available there.
- If you have failed to close the app, then it will be visible in the system tray.
- So, right-click on the Discord icon and select ‘Quit Discord’ from the context menu.
- Once again confirm that you have closed the Discord app successfully. To do that, press ‘Ctrl, Shift, and Esc’ keys at the same time to open the Task Manager.
- Look for the Discord app in the list of processes displayed.
- If Discord app is available in the Process list, then select it and click the ‘End Task’ button.
- Now, exit the Task Manager window and right-click the Discord shortcut on your desktop.
- Select the ‘Run as administrator’ option from the context menu to allow administrator privileges.
- If no Discord icon is visible on your desktop, then press the windows key or go to the Start menu.
- Locate the Discord entry in the popup menu and right-click on it.
- Then, choose the ‘More’ option and select ‘Run as Administrator.’
- The Discord app will start ane install the update successfully.
Method 3: Disable Windows Defender
Windows come with a built-in antivirus system known as Windows Defender. It protects the system from malicious programs but sometimes it can be a restricting factor for updating Discord. So, disable Windows Defender by using the following steps and check whether this problem gets solved or not.
- Type ‘settings’ in the windows search box and press Enter to open the Settings window.
- Click on the ‘Update and Security’ section to expand it and choose ‘Windows Security.’
- Click on the ‘Virus and Threat’ protection link and select ‘Manage Settings.’
- Swipe the toggle for the ‘Turn on real-time protection’ link in order to disable this feature.
- Click on the ‘Save’ button and exit the Settings window.
- Hopefully, you will now install Discord without any problems.
If you follow the aforesaid methods, then you will be back in the server communicating in no time.