The Microsoft compatibility telemetry disk usage is the utility which automatically gathers data from the Windows 10 computers to the ‘Windows Development Team’. It has been introduced to enhance the performance of the Windows Operating System which we get on the updates. Sometimes users misuse and want to disable it. There is nothing to worry about. It does not breach our data. But if someone wants to disable this feature on the Windows 10 computer they can do it. Thus we are going to discuss about Microsoft compatibility telemetry disk usage and how to disable it.
Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
You must be thinking that what is Microsoft compatibility telemetry. Well, the Microsoft compatibility telemetry is the feature which has been introduced in the Windows 10 computers, to enhance the experience of users. This feature gathers all the activities and sends to the ‘Windows Development Team’ to improve the Windows.
It gathers the information on all the activities you do with your computer. It also tries to protect your computer from malware and virus attack. Also with the help of this the ‘Microsoft Development Team’ develop the updates. It also helps them to develop the latest security features for Windows computers.
Procedure To Disable The Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk
Since some people misinterpret this utility as a spying software on the computer they want to disable it. Therefore go through the steps to disable the Microsoft Compatibility telemetry high disk:
- Disabling the telemetry using the group policy editor.
- By disabling the telemetry using the registry editor.
- Using the CMD command.
- Disabling the CompatTelRunner.exe using task scheduler.
- Clearing up the running memory.
Disabling The Telemetry Using The Group Policy Editor
Follow the steps to disable the telemetry using the group policy editor:
- At first press the ‘Windows’ logo key and the letter ‘R’ together from the keyboard to open the ‘run’ box.
- Now in the ‘Run’ box type the command ‘gpedit.msc’ and press the ‘Enter’ key from the keyboard.
- Then in the ‘Local group policy editor’ page select the option ‘Computer configuration’ to expand it.
- Next, from the list select the option ‘Administrative Templates’.
- After that choose the option ‘Windows Components’ and then select the option ‘Data collection and preview builds’.
- Then double click on the ‘Allow Telemetry’ entry to open it and choose the option ‘Disable’ to stop it.
- Now reboot your computer.
By Disabling The Telemetry Using The Registry Editor
Also, you can disable the telemetry using the registry editor in this way:
- At first, press the ‘Windows’ logo key and the letter ‘R’ together from the keyboard.
- Now on the ‘Run’ box type ‘regedit’ and choose the option ‘OK’ to open the ‘’registry editor.
- After opening the ‘registry editor’ go through the path ‘KEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsDataCollection’.
- Now on the path select the option ‘AllowTelemetry’ from the right-hand side.
- Then in the ‘Value Data’ put the value ‘0’.
- Now press the option ‘OK’ to continue.
- Then you can either reboot the computer or open the Task Manager to check whether you have disabled the telemetry on the computer.
Using The CMD Command
Go through the steps to use the CMD command to disable the Microsoft compatibility telemetry on your Windows computer:
- Press the ‘Windows’ logo key and the letter ‘R’ key together from the keyboard.
- Then type the command ‘CMD’ on the ‘Run’ box.
- Now press the ‘CTRL key, the ‘SHIFT’ key, and the ‘enter’ key together from the keyboard to open the command prompt as the ‘Administer’.
- After that type the following command ‘sc delete DiagTrack sc delete dmwappushservice echo””C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl reg add“HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f’ on the Command Prompt.
- This will disable the telemetry on the computer.
Disabling The CompatTelRunner.exe Using Task Scheduler
Follow the steps to disable the CompatTelrunner.exe using the task scheduler:
- At first, log in to the computer as ‘Administrator’.
- After that press the ‘Windows’ logo key and the letter ‘R’ from the keyboard.
- Then on the ‘Run’ box type the command ‘C;Windowssystem32’ and then press the ‘Enter’ key from the keyboard.
- Now in the directory locate the ‘CompatTelRunner’ file.
- Then right click on it and select the option ‘Properties’ from the list.
- Now look for the ‘Owner’ tab above.
- Then select the option ‘Edit’ and then choose the option ‘Administrator’.
- Now select ‘Apply’.
- Then on the prompted window, select the option ‘OK’.
- Now change the permission to delete it.
Clearing Up The Running Memory
Also, you can clear the running memory to disable the running Microsoft Compatibility telemetry.
Thus by following the methods as mentioned above, you can resolve the issue.
This will eventually resolve all your queries. While going through this article if you face any issue then you can share your feedback for further updates.