If you are receiving the notification on Outlook data file cannot be accessed, it is a common error code for a majority of Outlook users. When this issue occurs, it affects the .pst file and can either corrupt it or shift to another location. According to many experts, if you create a new pst file and set it as your default Outlook data file, it can resolve the error.
But, you need to have the correct knowledge about creating a pst file to deal with this data access issue. Otherwise, it can cause various problems while accessing your Outlook account on the PC. So, if you want to learn the tricks to get access to your Outlook data file, keep reading this article. For those who want to create a new Outlook profile to resolve this issue, they can refer this article to know the steps.
Reasons due to Which Outlook Data File Cannot be Accessed from your Account
In order to understand why Outlook data file cannot be accessed on your device, you need to know a few things. Because when you want to access or import Outlook data files, it definitely has to be an important reason:
- There can be an urgency to transfer your Outlook data from one email account to another.
- Sometimes, the entire profile of Outlook has to be moved to another device due to some technical failure.
- It can also be the case that there is a necessity to move your data files from Mac/Windows to PC or vice-versa.
- Users can also experience this issue while shifting Outlook data from a local folder to a POP3 or IMAP server.
- The problem can also arise if the PST file is corrupted on your system or the Outlook profile is incorrectly configured.
- Often, the error can generate if the location of PST file changes or you are making use of old PST files even after upgrading your Outlook account.
The purpose behind mentioning the above reasons is that the Outlook data file can become inaccessible while performing any of the above actions. Mostly, Outlook server can deny the access to user’s data if the items are wrongly imported from a .pst file to any PC. So, you can also check out the proper steps for importing your Outlook data files in the solution part.
What to do When you can’t Access Outlook Data File on your System?
Users can come across the issue of Outlook data file cannot be accessed 2016 or similar error on other versions of Outlook as well. Hence, you need to follow a stepwise procedure to resolve this error and access your data file in Outlook.
From the following points, you will get to learn how to deal with this problem and retrieve your Outlook data file. So, let’s have a look at the solutions and discuss the steps in details to grant access for your data file from Outlook.
Method 1: Move Outlook Data Files from .PST to Outlook on your Computer
To import Outlook items, you need to make sure that your emails, contacts, and calendar are exported already. Only then, you can apply the following steps to transfer them in Outlook for PC.
Open the Outlook application on your computer and click on the ‘File’ tab. In case, you are unable to view the ‘File’ option on Outlook ribbon, the program may not be properly installed on your machine. Otherwise, it can be the case that you are using Outlook version not compatible with the current OS.
So, in order to troubleshoot Outlook data file cannot be accessed notification, you should be aware of the exact version of Outlook. Now, if the tab of ‘File’ is present in your Outlook, you need to click on ‘Open & Export’ option.
Then, select the link for ‘Import/Export’ and it will display the Import/Export wizard on your PC’s screen. After this, you will have to choose the option of ‘Import from another program or file’ and hit the ‘Next’ button. Also, click on ‘Outlook Data File (.pst) and then ‘Next’ tab.
Once you hit the ‘Browse’ button, it will allow importing the .pst file that you want for Outlook. Then, select the option of ‘replace duplicates with items imported’ and click on ‘Next’.
In case, your ISP has already allotted a password for accessing the Outlook Data File (.pst), there is no need to create a new one. You can type this passcode in the required field and then hit the ‘OK’ button.
For those who wish to import the contents in their .pst file to new/existing Office 365 email inbox, select that mailbox. But, if you don’t want to import the pst file into your Office 365 account, you can select the ‘Import items into the current folder’ tab.
As you choose this option for the pst file, the Outlook data file will directly import into the chosen folder. Finally, click on the ‘Finish’ button and wait until Outlook completes the task of moving .pst file contents into the current folder.
You can easily figure it out when the importing gets finished with the status of the progress bar. Once, the import is over, this progress box will not shown up anymore.
While importing the content of the .pst file into the mailbox of your Office 365 profile, you may come across a notification. Basically, this message can appear when the internet connection experiences some kind of interference. This is also a critical situation when users can receive the error regarding Outlook data file cannot be accessed.
Hence, the only thing you can do is to re-establish the connection using stable internet connectivity. After that, you must continue with the task of importing contents from the .pst file into Outlook.
In case, you only wish to extract only a few selective contacts or emails from your Outlook Data File (.pst), there is a trick. You simply need to access the Outlook Data File and drag the chosen contents into your active Outlook folders.
Method 2: Identify Default Outlook Data File on your System
To apply this fix, you have to click on the Windows Start button and go to ‘Control Panel’. Then, select the feature of ‘Mail’ and open the dialog box for ‘Mail Setup- Outlook’.
Next, you need to hit the tab for ‘Show Profiles’ and choose the Outlook account that you are currently using. After that, click on the ‘Properties’ button and it will display the ‘Mail Setup – Outlook window on your screen.
Below the section of ‘Data Files’, there is a tab for the same name just under the ‘Email Accounts’ button. Hence, you need to select this tab and pay attention to the name and location of Outlook’s default data file. If there are multiple files linked to your Outlook account, look for the name with a tick mark beside it.
This sign represents that the selected data file is the default option for your Outlook profile. Finally, exit the Outlook Data Files Account Settings window by clicking on the ‘Close’ button. In many cases, selecting the proper option for the Outlook Data File can resolve the issue of inaccessibility problem.
Method 3: Make Use of New Outlook Profile to Move your Data File
You can also remove the Outlook data file cannot be accessed 2016 error by creating a new profile. Hence, in this solution, you will get to learn how to create your POP3 or IMAP email account. However, there are two main methods to do so hence, let’s start covering them one by one.
Using the Auto Account Setup
If you want to make use of an email server that is compatible with both IMAP and POP3 settings, by default it will create your IMAP account. In that case, you will have to follow the manual method for doing the setup for a POP3 account.
But, if your email server is compatible with the POP3 only, applying the auto account setup will create your POP3 account. So, before proceeding further, you can either research regarding the account types (IMAP/POP3) or take help from an Outlook expert.
Now, let’s check the steps to create your POP3 or IMAP account using the automatic method:
- First, click on the Windows Start menu and then type ‘Control Panel’ in the search box. As discussed in the above method, select the tab of ‘Show Profiles’ by opening the dialog box for ‘Mail Setup – Outlook’.
- Below the tab of ‘General’ in the Mail window, find the ‘Add’ button and click on it. As the dialog box for ‘New Profile’ appears on your Windows, assign a new profile name to it and hit the ‘OK’ button.
- Now, in the dialog box of ‘Add New Account’. Enter information relevant to your email account and click on the ‘Next’ tab. Hopefully, applying the above steps will be able to configure your new Outlook account. Hence, restart your device after clicking on the ‘Finish’ button.
Using the Manual Process
If you want to create a POP3 or IMAP email profile on Outlook manually, apply the following instructions.
- First, open the Windows Start button and click on ‘Control Panel’ by searching the name in the search box.
- By following similar steps as discussed above, select ‘Show Profiles’ button after accessing the window of ‘Mail Setup – Outlook’.
- Next, click on the tab of ‘Add’ below the ‘General’ section. Then, enter your new account name in the ‘New Profile’ window.
- After clicking on ‘OK’, select the feature of ‘Manually configure server settings or additional server types’. You will get this option in the dialog box of ‘Add New Account’.
- Finally, hit the ‘Next’ button and click on ‘Internet E-mail’ below the section of ‘Choose Service’. Then, click on ‘Internet E-mail’ and hit the ‘Next’ tab to proceed with the steps further.
As the dialog box for ‘Internet E-mail Settings’ appears, select ‘Test Account Settings’. You can also retrieve old data from your ‘Existing Outlook Data File’. Hence, just click on this tab and import the files by browsing the correct location.
Hopefully, now you won’t get any notification about Outlook data file cannot be accessed on your PC. But, in case, if you are unable to troubleshoot this error by following the above instructions, get in touch with our Outlook technician immediately.