Windows error 0x8007002 is one of the common problems reported by the users. This error notification mainly appears at a time, when you are trying to update the Windows OS. The Windows update failure is a clear indication of this issue. The problem mainly appears due to the conflict between programs at the time of updating procedure. Like, the security software may conflict with the automatic updating procedure.
If you are dealing with this kind of situation, then this article is for you. In this article, we are going to discuss the steps that can help you to fix the error 0x80070020. So, let’s start.
Effective Solutions on Error Code 0x80070020
Here, in this part of the article, we are going to discuss the steps that can help you to fix error code 0x80070020. So, let’s read the upcoming part of the article to know the details that can help you to get rid of the issue.
Solution 1:Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter
You can get rid of the situation by using the Windows Update Troubleshooter. This is a built-in feature of Windows. If the procedure is unknown to you, then follow the steps:
- At first, you will need to press Windows + I button at the same time from your keyboard to open Settings. Otherwise, move on to the navigation panel to open the Settings menu.
- After that, go to the Update and Security option. Then, click on the Troubleshoot option and choose the Windows Update option.
- Thereafter, wait a few minutes to complete the scanning procedure. And do as directed.
- Then, you should try to update the Windows version and check if the problem is resolved or not.
Solution 2: Reset Windows Update Components
If you are dealing with 0x80070020 error code, then the problem might get fixed by resetting the Windows components. Go through the following steps to learn the procedure:
- At first, go to the Start button which is located at the bottom-left side of your computer’s screen. Then, you will need to type ‘cmd’ in the search box to open the Command Prompt.
- Thereafter, write down following commands and hit the Enter button from your keyboard. The commands are followed by.
net stop wuauserv, net stop msiserver, net stop cryptsvc
- Then, enter the following commands to rename the Software Distribution folder.
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
- After that, you will need to restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services, thus you have stopped the previous one by using these commands:
net start bits, net start wuauserv, net start msiserver, net start cryptsvc
- Now, restart your computer and check if the problem is still occurring or not.
Solution 3: Perform WUReset Script
If the steps from the above part of the article did not help you. Then, you can do the steps to get rid of the issue.
- At first, you will need to open the notepad.
- Then, paste the commands:
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%\system32\catroot2\*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%\SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\application data\Microsoft\Network\downloader” downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo Task completed successfully…
- After that, you will need to save the file as “WUReset.bat”.
- Then, right click on the Script option and click on the Run as Administrator option. This will help you to perform the script.
Solution 4: Restart the BITS
If you are still dealing with error code 0x8007002., then you should try to restart BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service).
- At first, you will need to press the Win key + R button at the same time from to open the Run dialog box. Then, type services.msc in the dialog box and hit the Enter button from your keyboard. Or, you can click to OK.
- Then, you have to look for the Background Intelligent Transfer Service from, the appearing list. Thereafter, right-click on the screen and click the Properties option.
- After that, move on to the General tab and look for the Startup type. And set it to Automatic.
- Thereafter, check if the BITS is running or not. If the BITS is not running, then you will need to right-click and then click on the Start button.
- Once you are done with all the steps which are mentioned in the previous part of the article, now confirm your selection. Then, close the Window.
Solution 5: Reset Windows Update Services
You can get rid of the issue by resetting the Windows update service. Here, are the steps that can help you to do so.
- At first, you will need to open a Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Thereafter, you will need to type the following commands.
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Now, check if the problem is resolved or not.
Wrap it up
These were all the possible solutions that can help you to fix 0x80070020 error code. Hope, this guide has helped you to get rid of the situation. If you have any more queries regarding this topic, then you can leave a comment.