Installing QuickBooks software is fairly easy with the help of a user-friendly interface. However, it may show QuickBooks Error 1904 when the software is not getting installed on your PC.
This is often caused due to corrupt software components or an incorrect file path. In addition to this, you can face this error if you’re upgrading to another version of the software.
Upgrading from one Windows platform to another version could cause this issue as well. Rest assured, all your files will be safe as we will teach you how to fix QuickBooks Install Error 1904.
Why is QuickBooks Error 1904 caused?
An outdated or incompatible computer system is the most common cause of QuickBooks Error 1904. Furthermore, a corrupt Quickbooks installer could also be the case.
Other possible causes of this error are –
- Corrupted system files
- Improper file location
- Installation blocked by a security software
- Hard drive related issue
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 1904?
Generally, it is very easy to fix QuickBooks Error 1904. However, you should do the following before you try one of the solutions listed below.
- Update your Windows to the latest version
- Check your internet connection
- Run the installer as an Administrator
- Restart your computer
Solution 1 – Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
One of the advantages of QuickBooks is that they have advanced tools to fix any kind of problem. Similarly, they have a QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool to combat QuickBooks Install Error 1904.
Follow the steps below to use this tool.
- Make sure that QuickBooks is not open. This is very important. Press Ctrl, Alt and Delete buttons on your keyboard at the same time. On the Task Manager that opens, find and close the QuickBooks software processes.
- Visit the official website of QuickBooks and download the install diagnostic tool. Run the downloaded tool and follow the instructions.
- Restart your computer after the tool has successfully executed.
Solution 2 – Reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework
Microsoft .NET Framework is used by a lot of software to function properly. Similarly, it is important for QuickBooks as well. Therefore, a corrupted or incomplete installation of .NET framework could cause QuickBooks Error 1904.
Therefore, you need to remove and reinstall it. You can do this by following the steps given below.
- Press the Windows logo button and the letter ‘R’ simultaneously. Type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and press Enter.
- Find Microsoft .NET Framework and uninstall it from your system.
- Next, open a browser and visit the official site of Microsoft. Download the latest version of .NET Framework.
- Run the downloaded tool and install it on your system.
- Try to run QuickBooks Installer once again.
Solution 3 – Install using an Administrator Account
Sometimes, software may not be installed without the proper permissions. Therefore, you can try to install QuickBooks through an Administrator account.
Follow these steps to activate an Administrator account on your computer.
- Click on the Start button. Type ‘cmd’ in the search field.
- Right-click on ‘cmd’ or ‘Command Prompt’ as the case may be and select ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Type “net user administrator /active:yes” without the quotes. Press Enter. Next, type ‘exit’.
- Click the Start button once again. Click on ‘Switch user’ from the advanced power options.
- Here, you will see a new account titled ‘Administrator’. Login to this user account and install the Quickbooks software in it.
Solution 4 – Modify Existing User Permissions
Ordinarily, some system files and folders are protected. Therefore, you need to modify user permissions for these files for successful software installation.
You can easily do this by following these steps.
- Press the Windows logo button and the letter ‘E’ at the same time. Go to C: or wherever Windows has been installed.
- Double click on Program Files. Here, you will find a folder called Common Files.
- Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Go to Security. Next, click on Edit. Under ‘Group or user names’, click on ‘Users’.
- Under ‘Permission for Users’, select the following checkboxes –
Read & Execute
List Folder Contents
- Click on Apply and then click on Ok.
Solution 5 – Reinstall QuickBooks as an Administrator
In addition to all the above reasons stated, the QuickBooks installer could be corrupted. Thus, you need to visit their official website to download the latest version of the software.
Run the installer as an administrator after it has been downloaded. Follow the instructions and you should be able to successfully install QuickBooks on your system.
In addition to the common causes, there are a few exceptional cases that can cause QuickBooks Error 1904. These have been discussed below.
You need to put the following folders in the exclusion list if you have BitDefender installed on your PC.
- For 32 bit Systems – C:\Program Files\Common Files
- For 64 bit Systems – C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit | | C:\Program Files\Intuit
Adobe Flash Player
A recent installation of Adobe Flash Player could conflict with the QuickBooks installation. In such cases, you need to first uninstall the flash player from your PC.
You can do this by following these steps.
- Press the Windows logo button and the letter ‘R’ subsequently. Type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and press Enter.
- Find Adobe Flash Player ActiveX from the list and uninstall it.
- Next, run the QuickBooks installer as an administrator.
- Download and install Adobe Flash Player after QuickBooks has been successfully installed.