Keeping the system updated with all the latest Windows 10 updates is a good thing. It helps the users to have the updated software that is compatible with the new applications or drivers released. However, sometimes a few Windows 10 updates are not compatible with the user’s system and that problem is denoted by the error 0xc1900200.
This error code mainly indicates that the system on which the new updates are being applied doesn’t meet the minimum system requirement criteria for the updates to be installed. In simple words, this means that the CPU speed or the available RAM or hard disk space aren’t good enough for the new updates. Apart from the system requirements problems, this error code may appear on the user’s system because of some software related issues. Now, if you are one of those users who is receiving the error 0xc1900200 while updating their Windows 10 OS and want to remove it, then follow this article to know about the best methods working to eliminate this error in no time.
Major Causes of the Error 0xc1900200
In a Window OS based system, there are many problematic factors that can cause the error code 0xc1900200 in your system. And we have provided some examples of those factors in this section. Have a look at them.
- User’s system doesn’t match up with the update requirement criteria.
- Faulty USB peripheral devices.
- Improper settings of the Windows Update Components.
- Windows Update Server is blocked on the OS.
- Corrupted sections in the OS hosting HDD.
- Insufficient space in the OS installed partition.
- Outdated BIOS issue.
- Hardware fault.
Now that you have analyzed all the main causes of the error code 0xc1900200, let’s have a look at its solutions.
Ways to Resolve the Error 0xc1900200
There are many ways by which you can remove the error code 0xc1900200 from your system. However, only a few of them will provide you an effective result. In this section, we have provided those fixes for you. Have a look at them and try to execute them as instructed.
Check the System Requirements
While performing a Windows OS update, the first thing you should check is the system requirement information or criteria which is laid out by Microsoft. Most of the time, users ignore these type of important information and encounter error codes like the 0xc1900200. That’s why, in order to avoid this problematic situation, you should match your system configuration with the requirement list. If anything crucial is mentioned there, then try to follow it as instructed. However, if all the requirements are matched up with your system configuration then it might be something else is causing this error code on your system and to fix that problem try to apply the other solutions given in this article.
Disconnect All the USB Devices
In some situations, this error code occurs in the user’s system due to faulty USB peripheral devices like mouse, hard disk, keyboard, etc. And it is quite possible that the same thing is creating this error code on your system. Now, to fix this problem, you need to disconnect all the USB peripheral devices connected to your system while performing the Windows OS update process. But if this method doesn’t work for you, then try the other solutions present in this article.
Reset the Windows Update Components
Another way by which you can eliminate the Windows 10 error 0xc1900200 from your system is by performing the Windows Update reset method. To execute this method on your system, follow the given steps.
- Press the Windows key + R key to launch the Run Dialog box. There, you have to type “Cmd” and hit the Ok button or Enter key.
- The Command Prompt window will open up on the screen. There you have to type the following commands lines and hit the Enter key after each command.
Net stop wuauserv
Net stop cryptSvc
Net stop bits
Net stop msiserve
- Then you have to rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder and to do that open the Command Prompt window and type the following command lines
Ren C:\Windows\softwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- After typing each line, press the Enter key in order to execute the command.
- Now, you need to restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer, and Windows Update Services on your system by pasting or typing the below lines in the Command Prompt window.
Net start wuauserv
Net start cryptSvc
Net start bits
Net start msiserver
- Hit the Enter key at the end of each line.
Once you have done this, exit the Command Prompt window and retry the Windows Update process to check whether the error is resolved or not.
Run the SFC Scan and DISM Utility
Now, it’s quite possible that the error code 0xc1900200 is appearing on your system because of a faulty or corrupted section of your OS hosting hard disk. And to repair those corrupted sections, you need to run two inbuilt tools and those are SFC scan and DISM utility. To run them on your system follow the given steps.
- Press the Windows Key + X key together to launch the WinX menu. There, you have click on the Command Prompt ( Admin) option in order to launch the Command Prompt window as Administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window, type “sfc/scannow” and hit the Enter key.
This will start the SFC Scan on your system. Wait till the scanning process gets completed. After it gets finished, relaunch the Windows Update application to check whether the error still occurs or not. If the error is still showing, then run the DISM utility by following the given steps.
- Open the Command Prompt window as Administrator once more and type the below-given command lines.
DISM /online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Press the Enter key at the end of each line.
After this, the DISM utility will start working on your system. Once the procedure ends, reboot your system and test the Windows OS update process to check the existence of the error code.
Unblock the Windows Update Servers
It might be possible that you are receiving this error code instead of the updates because your system settings are set to block Microsoft’s update servers. To fix this setting misconfigurations, follow the given steps.
- Click on the Start icon and press the Control Panel option to open its window.
- In that window, set the View by section to Large Icons, and click on Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options window, you need to tap on the Security tab.
- Inside the Security tab, select the Trusted Sites option and then hit the Sites button.
- A new window will appear on the screen. There you need to uncheck the box beside the Require server verification (https:) option for all sites present there.
- Now, a pop-up window with a message will come up on the screen. It will say Add this website to the zone. Then you need to type the following addresses there.
http://update.microsoft.com and http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
- After typing or pasting them, hit the Add button and then OK button to save all the setting changes that you have made.
Now, you need to restart the Windows update process to check for the error code 0xc1900200.
Increase the Size of the System Partition
Most of the time, this error code is caused by the insufficient space in that disk partition on which your OS is installed. And it is quite possible that the same is happening in your system. Now, in order to increase the partition space follow the given instructions.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R key together. Then, on the dialog box, type “ diskmgmt.msc” and hit the Ok button or Enter key.
- The Partition Map window will appear on the screen. There you need to click on the C:\ Drive option.
- Now, the first partition will be a 100 MB Partition (System, Active, Primary Partition). You need to right-click on that partition in order to open the context menu. In that menu, you have to select the Drive Letters and Paths option. Instantly, a pop-up window will appear up on the screen. On that window, click on the Add option and then label that partition as the letter “ Y”.
- After that, launch the WinX menu by holding the Windows key + X key together. Then, click on the Command Prompt( Admin) option. By doing this, you will be able to open the Command Prompt window will Administrator rights.
- In the Command Prompt window, first type “Y” and hit the Enter key. Then, type the following command lines in that window.
takeown /f . /r /d y
icacls . /grant administrators:F /t <username>
attrib -h -s -r bootmgr
Check The Username
However, if you don’t know the username of your Windows OS then type “whoami” in the Command Prompt window and hit the Enter key. After that, the username will appear on that window.
- Once, you have done the above-mentioned steps, go to the Boot folder and delete all the languages except the en-US one. After that, empty the Recycle Bin folder by deleting all of its content.
- Now, go back to the Command Prompt window once more and type the command lines.
on Windows 8 and above:- chkdsk Y: /F /X /sdcleanup /L:5000
on Windows 7:- chkdsk Y: /F /X /L:5000
This will truncate the NTFS log to 5MB and leave plenty of space for the Windows 10 update installation or OS re-installation process. Now, try the update installation process once more in order to check the existence of the error code. If everything went on according to the plan then you can remove the drive letter for the Boot Partition by opening the diskmgmt.msc or Partition Map window.
Update the BIOS
According to some Windows 10 users, the error code 0xc1900200 appears on their system during the Windows 10 update process due to an outdated BIOS. And, it might be possible that the outdated BIOS issue is creating this error code on your system as well. Now, in order to eliminate this problematic possibility, you need to install the latest BIOS file available for your motherboard in your system and to know about it in more detail, visit the official website of your motherboard manufacturer.
If none of the above solutions is able to assist you with fixing the error code 0xc1900200, then there is a very big chance that your system is suffering some major hardware issues. And in order to solve those issues in the most effective ways, you should consult with a technical expert.
We hope our solutions and suggestions are helpful to you regarding the error 0xc1900200. For more such tech-related content, keep following our upcoming posts.