There might be a situation when you are doing your regular activities on the system and suddenly the error notification 0x80070057 appears on the screen. In case, if you do not know how to deal with this annoying flaw and how to get rid of this error, then don’t fret! There are a lot of Windows Operating System users who have proclaimed the same error code. You are definitely not alone. You may encounter this annoying error due to several reasons. Luckily, there are many troubleshooting fixes to eradicate this frequent Windows Update error 0x80070057.
However, the irritating part about this error notification is that you can get this error code in multiple places. You should adopt a diverse approach whenever you see it in several situations. Here, in this post, we are about to discuss three different situations and their fixes accordingly. You should detect your situation from the provided situations and resolve this frustrating error code right away.
- The Parameter is Incorrect (0x80070057).
- Windows update Error code (0x80070057).
- Microsoft Office Error code (0x80070057).
Different Instances to get Windows Update Error Code 0x80070057 and Methods to Eliminate It:
Generally, there are several circumstances when you can perceive this annoying error code on the screen. Some of the common ones are mentioned hereunder. Thus, it is advised to scroll down and read on to know more.
- While installing or updating the pending updates on the Windows Operating System.
- Windows update error code 0x80070057 while making a new profile on the Microsoft Outlook application.
- Harmed or corrupted computer reserve partition.
- You may get this general error code on the system while updating the OS version of the system.
- Whenever you are attempting to back up your docs, you may face this Windows update error code on your system.
Situation A: The Parameter is Incorrect (0x80070057)
The parameter is incorrect (0x80070057) error notification arises whenever you attempting to back up your Windows system with its built-in tool titled Windows Backup Tool and it stops accomplishing. Then, an error statement shows up on the screen which implies that “An internal error has occurred: The parameter is incorrect: (0x80070057)”. To tackle this error, follow the troubleshooting ways cited below:
Way 1: Change the Settings of the Decimal Symbol
You might encounter this error whenever the decimal symbol is not set to “.“(dot). This circumstance is general in languages other than English(US). Follow the below steps to change the decimal symbol settings:
- At first, go the Start Menu and tap on it to open.
- Now, tap on the Control Panel from the list of menu.
- Select as View by Category.
- Next, tap on the ‘Clock, Language and Region’ option in the Control Panel menu.
- Choose the ‘Region and Language’ option under the ‘Clock, Language and Region’ menu.
- Tap on the Format option.
- After that, select the Additional Settings option in the Format menu.
- Go to the Decimal Symbol field. Just put a Dot in the Decimal Symbol field and tap on the Ok button for two times.
- After completing all the above-described steps, restart the system.
- At last, check the system to verify that the error code is resolved or not. In case, if the issue still persists, then you should move out to the next method.
Way 2: Add a Registry Value
A lot of Windows system users have reported that they have fixed this error by performing some easy methods. By changing the Windows registry, you can easily eradicate this issue. Follow the below-stated steps to do so:
- Press the Windows logo key and at the same time press the R key on the keyboard. This key combination will invoke the Run dialog box.
- Go to the Run dialog box and write ‘regedit in the box’. Tap on the Ok button. Alternatively, you can press down the Enter key on your keyboard.
- After that, again press and hold down the Windows logo key + R key on the keyboard. The Run dialog box will appear.
- Type ‘notepad’ in the Run dialog box and tap on the Ok button.
- Open the notepad, just copy and paste the following commands given below:
Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX]
- After that, tap on the File option.
- Next, choose the Save as an option in the File menu.
- Now, you need to set the file types of this file as All files.
- Save this file as ‘wufix.reg.’ on the system.
After completing all the above-described steps, try to run the ‘wufix.reg.’ file. Next, keep accepting the on-screen prompts. This will surely eradicate this error notification.
Situation B: Windows Update Error Code (0x80070057)
You may encounter this annoying error 0x80070057 Windows 10 during the Windows update. To fix it, follow the below-mentioned ways:
Way 1: Rename the Software Distribution Folder
This method is easy and effective to resolve the Windows update error code 0x80070057. To perform this action, follow the steps below:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and at the same time press the R key. This key combination will open the Run dialog box.
- Go to the Run dialog box and write ‘%systemroot%’. Tap on the Ok button. Alternatively, you can press down the Enter key on your keyboard.
- Now, right-click on the Software Distribution and rename it SoftwareDistribution.old.
- To continue with this step, you might require to provide the administrator permission. After that, you need to tap on the Continue button to proceed further.
- Now, write the Services in the search box. Tap on the Services option.
- Here, you need to ensure that the status of the Windows Update is Started.
- Tap on the Ok button to save the changes that you have made.
- After completing all the above-mentioned steps, restart the system.
At last, verify the system to see that the 0x80070057 error is resolved or not. In case, if the issue still persists, then follow the next method.
Way 2: Run Windows Troubleshooter
You can try to run inbuilt troubleshooter of Windows Operating System to fix any glitches that can hinder Windows update. To perform this action, go through the following steps:
- At first, go to the Start menu button. Tap on it to open.
- After that, write “Troubleshooting” in the Search panel.
- Now, tap on the Troubleshooting option in the list of menu.
- Go to the System and Security option.
- Select the option titled ‘Fix problem with Windows Updates’ under the System and Security section.
- Tap on the Advanced option.
- After that, choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option in the Advanced menu.
- Tick on the checkbox next to ‘Apply repairs automatically is selected’.
- Choose the Next button.
- Now, Windows will automatically detect the problem and fix it as soon as possible.
- This troubleshooting process may take a few minutes to complete. Therefore, you need to wait until the entire troubleshooting process completes.
- After the completion of the troubleshooting process, restart the system.
- Finally, check the Windows system to see if the error code is resolved or not.
Way 3: Restart the Windows Update Service Manually
Restarting the Windows Update service can give you the feasible solution regarding the Windows update error code 0x80070057. To do it, follow the below steps:
- At first, go to the Start menu button.
- After that, you need to type “cmd” in the Search box. Right-click on the Search OK button or press down the Enter key.
- After some minutes, you will get a message on the screen which simply states that the “Windows Update service was stopped successfully”.
- Write ‘net start wuauserv’ in the command box. Press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- After that, the Windows Update service process will start again.
- Once the steps are completed, check your system if the error code still persists.
Situation C: Microsoft Office Error code (0x80070057)
This frustrating Windows update error 0x80070057 commonly occur whenever you are attempting to install the MS Office on the system or in the middle of accessing it. To fix this error code, you can provisionally turn off the firewall and disable the antivirus application of the system.
To turn off the firewall and disable the antivirus application of the system, you could follow the steps stated below.
- Go to the Windows Start button and tap on it to open.
- After that, open the Control Panel in the Start menu.
- Now, choose the System and Security option under the Control Panel.
- Tap on the Windows Firewall option in the System and Security option.
- Navigate to the Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
- You could select the Turn off Windows Firewall (not recommended) option temporarily until this issue gets resolved.
- Now, it’s time to repair the MS Office application.
- To do so, again go to the Control Panel in the Start menu. Navigate to the Program option.
- Next, you need to find the Uninstall a Program option under the Programs menu.
- Locate the MS Office 365 and tap on the Change option.
- Next, choose Quick Repair option.
- This repairing process may take some time to finish. Therefore, you need to wait until the entire repairing process completes.
- After completing all the above-described steps, restart the system.
That’s all you need to know regarding the process to eradicate this annoying 0x80070057 Windows update error code within a flicker of time. If you have implemented the above troubleshooting hacks well and in the correct order, then the error code should not bother you any longer. Therefore, try the above-stated troubleshooting hacks and see which is giving you the ultimate troubleshooting solution in no time. Additionally, this article assists non-tech-savvy persons. Hence, to share your experience and opinions regarding this error code and the article, you can drop a comment in the below section.