Windows 10 is the latest Operating System from Microsoft. Due to some unique features and services, this system software has garnered a lot of attention. Mainly a feature that stood out the most is the ‘Windows Update’. Because of the Update in this OS, many new features can be installed on the computer. Despite having so many good features and services, even then you can encounter many issues. One problem that occurs while attempting to update Windows is the error code 0x8007001f.
When this occurs, there is no chance for you to update anything else. Some of the common reasons why this error occurs are if the antivirus software interferes with the update process. Even, due to some corrupt system files also you can confront this issue. Further, if during the startup process there are too many programs, which initiates execution then, this error can crop up. Moreover, if the user account gets corrupted somehow and when the audio driver is obsolete, then also there is a possibility for you to receive this problem, etc. Hence, go through the article to know the resolving methods.
Methods to Solve Error Code 0x8007001f:
In this section of the article, there are various methods that will help you to eradicate the error code 0x8007001f in an efficient approach.
Start the Windows Update Service Once Again
Sometimes the Windows Update service can trigger this error during the update process due to internal malfunction. The only way to stop this error from occurring again is to start this service once again. In order to do that, follow the steps below.
- First, tap on the combination of ‘Windows + X’ keys altogether to open a popup menu. Then, from that menu choose the option ‘Run’. This will open a new dialog box, that has the same name as the option you chose on the last line.
- On this dialog box, write the following command on the textbox – “services.msc” beside the label ‘Open:’. After that, tap on the ‘Enter’ key. This will launch a new window, that has a name ‘Services’.
- Within this window, there are plenty of service processes presented on a list. From that list, locate the ‘Windows Update’ service and right-click on it.
- Next, from the popup menu choose the option ‘Properties’. Now, a new window will come up with the heading ‘Windows Update Properties (Local Computer)’.
- On this window, choose the tab ‘General’. Under this tab, go to the label ‘Startup type:’ from the drop-down menu tap on the ‘Disabled’ option. Next, press on both the ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’ buttons respectively, then reboot the computer.
- After the machine boots up head to the ‘Services’ window and check if the ‘Windows Update’ service is disabled or not.
- From the taskbar, tap on the ‘File Explorer’ folder to open it. Then, on the address within this directory type the following path “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution” and hit ‘Enter’. This will reveal the contents of that folder.
- Now, just rename this folder to ‘SoftwareDistribution.old’. After that, once again go to the ‘Services’ window and repeat the steps three and four of this point. On the ‘Properties’ window, alter the option from ‘Disabled’ to Manual’ for the label ‘Startup type:’
Clear the Startup Processes
Due to some conflict by any reliable software services during the update procedure can lead to the error code 0x8007001f. So the solution to rectify this problem is to simply disable any services of reliable software that executes during startup. Here are some steps to perform this procedure.
- First, tap on both the keys ‘Windows + R’ simultaneously to launch the ‘Run’ dialog box.
- On that dialog box, provide the following input on the text box to the right of the label ‘Open:’- “msconfig”. After that, tap on the button ‘OK’. This will launch a new window, that has the name ‘System Configuration’.
- On this window, go to the tab ‘Services’ and choose it. Under this tab, there is a list full of all the services that are present on the computer. Now, below the list, put a checkmark on the option ‘Hide all Microsoft services’. Then, on the extreme right of the window, tap on the button ‘Disable all’.
- Next, within this window only, navigate and then choose the tab ‘Startup’. Under this tab, click on the link ‘Open Task Manager’. This will open a new window called ‘Task Manager’, in which the ‘Startup’ tab is already chosen.
- Now, from the list of services that executes during the startup, choose the first item and right-click on it. Then, from the popup menu choose the option ‘Disable’.
- Repeat the previous step for all the services present on that list. Once it is over, close the ‘Task Manager’ and ‘System Configuration’ windows respectively.
- At last, restart the computer then, attempt to update the Operating System and check to see if this error comes back or not.
Uninstall A Reliable Security Software
If the reliable security or antivirus software interferes during the update procedure, then you can encounter the 0x8007001f error. Thus, the feasible solution is to remove the security software from the machine and initiate to use the default antivirus application ‘Windows Defender’. Follow these lines below to remove the reliable antivirus software.
- First, tap on the ‘Cortana’ present just beside ‘Windows’ logo within the taskbar. This opens the ‘Windows Search’ text area.
- Within the text box, type the following name “control panel” and then tap on ‘Enter’ key to search the system for it.
- Once the search is complete, then from the result of this search, choose the option ‘Control Panel’. This will launch a new window, that has a similar name as the option you chose on the last line.
- In this window, there are many categories of computer settings which you can alter from the list. So, now choose the category ‘Programs’. This will open a page within this window, where you have to select the option ‘Programs and Features’.
- Once again, you will get a new page wherein a list of all the programs installed within the computer are present. From that list, locate and choose the reliable security software.
- After that, right-click on it and then from the popup menu tap on the ‘Uninstall’ option. At this moment the uninstaller of the application will show up.
- Just follow the instructions on the uninstaller window and accordingly press the ‘Uninstall’ button at last to remove the reliable security software. Wait for the removal process to complete.
- Once the uninstallation procedure is over, restart the computer.
- At last, after the next boot process attempt to perform the Windows update and see if the error comes back or not.
New User Account Creation Procedure
When some content within the user account gets corrupt or are missing, then there is a chance for you to face this issue. Now, the best way to get rid of this problem is to create a new user account and use it instead of the old one. For that to happen, follow the steps beneath.
- First, tap on the ‘Windows’ logo to open the ‘Start Menu’. Then, choose the ‘Gear’ just above the ‘Power’ icon. This will open a new window called ‘Windows Settings’.
- On this window, locate and choose the category ‘Accounts’. Then, a new page within this window will come out.
- In that page, go to the left panel and under the heading ‘Accounts’, find and select the option ‘Family and other users’. Now, move to the right panel of this page and then under the section ‘Other users’, choose the option ‘Add someone else to this PC’.
- Next, a new dialog box will appear, which prompts you to provide the email address or phone number of that user. Skip everything and choose the link ‘I don’t have this person’s sign-in information’.
- Now, in this window, only another prompt will come up that allows you to create a new Microsoft account. Go to the bottom of this prompt and select the link ‘Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- On the next page that comes up with the heading ‘Create an account for this PC’, provide all the credentials within the correct fields and then tap on the ‘Next’ button.
- Once the account creation is over, remove the old one so that this one becomes the default.
- Finally, inspect if the error is still present or not when you try to update the OS.
Use the System File Checker
When some system file gets corrupt due to any reason whatsoever, then the error code 0x8007001f can show up. The solution to eradicate this issue is to use the System File Checker or SFC tool. This is a built-in tool within Windows 10 OS, that scans the computer for any corrupt system files and attempts to repair it. To perform this procedure, follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Go to the initial point of this section and follow the first step to popup the ‘Run’ dialog box. Next, in this dialog box, type the following text – “command prompt” within the field beside the ‘Open:’ label. This will launch a new window with a black background.
- Within this window, input the command which follows – “sfc /scannow”, and after that, press the ‘Enter’ key to execute. As soon as you do this the SFC tool will initiate the scanning process and then attempt to correct any damaged system files.
- This process takes quite some time to complete so remain calm. When the scanning process is over, try to update Windows and see if this problem reappears or not.
Utilize the DISM Tool
If the SFC tool is not able to replace the corrupt system files, then you will have to use the ‘Deployment Image Servicing and Management’ or ‘DISM’ tool. DISM is used to repair the Windows image file, which can correct any system files that are corrupted. Follow the below steps in order to do it.
- In this section, move to the third point and then follow the first step that opens up the ‘Windows Search’.
- Within it type “command prompt” and then ‘Enter’ to look for it. After that, from the output of this search, locate and right-click on the option ‘Command Prompt’. Then, from the popup menu, choose the ‘Run as Administrator’.
- On this new window with a black background, type the command “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth” and tap on the ‘Enter’ button to execute it. This command will connect with the Windows Update and try to repair the image file.
- Now, if the above command has any problem, then insert the Windows installation disc/flash drive and then input the command in the following – “DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:(Your repair source Windows) /LimitAccess”. In this command change the line after the ‘C:’ with the repair source path of your machine.
- Wait for the process to complete. When it is over restart the machine and see if this error is still there or not.
Install the Latest Updates via Windows USB/DVD Download Tool
This is the easiest method to perform if due to this problem you are unable to update the Windows 10 Operating System. Now, follow the steps stated underneath.
- First, launch a web browser that you wish to use. Then, visit the official website of Microsoft.
- Within it, go to the bottom of the website and locate the heading ‘Microsoft Store’. Under it choose the option ‘Download Center’.
- You will then be taken to the ‘Download Center’ page within this website only, where scroll down a little until the heading ‘Top download categories’ come up.
- Under this heading, there are many options. Out of those, choose the ‘Windows’ option.
- In the page that comes up, go to the section ‘Popular Windows downloads’ and choose the second option ‘Windows USB/DVD Download Tool’
- After that, when a new page comes up then, just click on the ‘Download’ button to initiate the downloading process. Once it is over, double-click on the file to execute.
- When the program launches, choose the option ‘Upgrade this PC now’. Now, allow the application to prepare the computer for an upgrade.
- Next, choose the option ‘Download and install updates (recommended)’ and then tap on the ‘Next’ button.
- Then, follow the information that comes up on the screen until the message ‘Ready to install’ shows up. After that, choose the ‘Change what to keep’ option. Now, tap on the option ‘Keep personal files and apps’ and tap on the ‘Next’ button.
- Finally, to finish the update process follow the on-screen instructions accordingly
Remove and Install the Audio Driver Once Again
You can even encounter the 0x8007001f error if the audio driver software present on the computer is corrupt or is obsolete. So, therefore the solution to eradicate this problem is to uninstall and then install the audio driver once again. So for that reason, follow the procedures mentioned below.
- First, go to the ‘Windows’ logo present on the extreme left side of the screen within the taskbar. After that, right-click on it to open the ‘Menu’.
- From that ‘Menu’, choose the option ‘Device Manager. This will open a new window, with the same name as the last option chosen on the previous line.
- Within this window, there is a list containing all the devices and their drivers installed in this computer. Now, from that list, locate and double-click on the device ‘Sound, video, and game controllers’ to expand the sub-list of the driver software.
- Next, find the audio driver from the expanded sub-list and right-click on it. Then, choose the option ‘Uninstall device’.
- After that, a confirmation message box will come up, where you have to remove the driver and the device tap on the button ‘Uninstall’. Wait for a few seconds to complete the uninstallation process.
- Now, restart the computer. Next, after the machine boots up again, open a web browser and visit the official website of the manufacturer of your motherboard.
- Then, find the search area within the website and type the name of the audio driver that was removed. After that, locate the current version of the audio driver and download the same.
- When the download process is over, run the setup file and follow the steps that come to your screen and install it. Now, wait for the process of installation to get over.
- Once it is completed, restart the computer then, try to perform the Windows Update’ and see if the error still pops up or not.
Follow all the steps in the previous section to mitigate the error code 0x8007001f easily and efficiently. But, if even after following all the points on the above section, still this problem cannot be resolved, then do not worry. Just provide the details about the problems that you have faced on the comment section present at the bottom of this page.