While using the computer that runs Windows 10 Operating System, you can sometimes stumble upon the error code 0xC0000185. This error basically occurs if the ‘Boot Configuration Data’ gets corrupted or is absent. The notification that comes up during this problem is ‘The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.’ This is a kind of glitch that renders the computer totally unusable.
The reasons for this problem are a huge amount of junk files, a malfunctioning hard disk. Even, you can encounter this problem if, during startup, any external device is connected.
Windows Error Code 0xC0000185 – Simple Solutions
In this section of the article, you can get many kinds of aids that will help to eliminate error code 0xC0000185 in a quick and easy way.
Build the Boot Configuration Data Once Again
Since you get this problem due to missing or corrupt ‘Boot Configuration Data’, therefore it is very necessary for you to build this data once again. In order to make it follow the steps underneath:
- First, put the installation CD of Windows 10 on the disk drive and restart the machine.
- When the computer boots up, you will get a prompt that asks to ‘Press any key to boot from the CD or DVD’.
- In the next screen that comes up, choose the correct time and the type of keyboard.
- After that, navigate to the lower-left side of the window and then select the link ‘Repair your computer’.
- Now, a new screen will appear with a blue background that has the heading ‘Choose an option’. Under this heading, there are some options. Out of those options, select the option ‘Troubleshoot’.
- At this moment, a new screen with the same blue background will show up that has the heading ‘Troubleshoot’. Within this screen, locate and choose the option ‘Advanced option’.
- In the new screen that displays, choose the option ‘Command Prompt’ to launch the program, out of all the other options that are present on it.
- In the ‘Command Prompt’ window, type “BOOTREC /FIXMBR” and tap on the key ‘Enter’ to execute it.
- Next, type the command “BOOTREC /FIXBOOT” and again press Enter to run it. After that, type the last command “BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD” and press ‘Enter’.
- Once the execution of all the commands is complete, simply remove the installation disk from the machine.
- Finally, restart the machine and then, see if you are still encountering this issue or not.
Mend the Computer by Using Installation Media of Windows 10
If you cannot fix the error code 0xC0000185 with the help of the first point in this section, then do not worry. This point has the answer to solve this glitch by using the ‘Startup Repair’ feature. This feature is a built-in repair tool that helps to fix or correct any problem which makes Windows Operating System work abnormally or sometimes not to start it at all.
In other words, this feature fixes certain system files that are either missing or corrupted which does not allow Windows OS to boot normally. Follow, the lines below in order to know the procedure on how to access the ‘Startup Repair’ feature:
- Follow the first 6 steps of the first point above until the selection of the option ‘Advanced Options’.
- Now, look for the option you chose in the previous step. Locate and select the option ‘Startup Repair’.
- A new window will come up. Here, choose the type of Operating System which is currently being used by the computer.
- After that, the procedure of scanning will start by Windows 10 OS. Next, while that process is going on, this tool will repair any kind of problems that might have caused this glitch.
- Once all the above process is complete, just remove the installation disc from the machine and restart it is normal mode.
- At last, when the PC boots up, see if this error resurface or not.
Remove Every Peripheral Device
If the previous two points cannot rectify this error, then it can occur due to some external or peripheral device that is connected with the computer during the bootup process. The solution to resolve this issue is to disconnect all the peripheral devices when the machine starts up. In order to do it systematically, follow the below steps:
- First, take out all the peripheral devices from the computer.
- After that, insert a single peripheral device into the machine and restart it to see if the error comes back or not.
- If it does pop up, then that device is the culprit. But, if it does, then repeat the second step with all the peripheral devices until the culprit is found.
- Once that dreaded device has been identified, then replace it with the new one.
Perform a System Restore
System Restore is a feature in Windows Operating Systems that lets the user restore their machines to a previous state without any loss of information. In Windows 10, you will be able to perform this process if the computer does not even boot up by using the installation media.
- Go to the first method of this section and follow the first 6 steps of it.
- Next, from ‘Advanced options’, choose ‘System Restore’.
- Now, a window will show up with the heading ‘System Restore. On this window, tap on the button ‘Next’.
- After that, from the page within that window, you will see the list of restoration points. Choose the one during which this error has never occurred. Then, click on the link ‘Scan for affected programs’ in order to see which applications will not be present after the restoration process.
- Now, tap on the ‘Next’ button. On the new page that comes up, check the ‘Time:’, ‘Description:’ and ‘Drives:’ to which the computer will be restored specifically.
- After this, simply to initiate the process of restoration, hit ‘Finish’. This process might take several minutes. So, be patient
- Once the restoration process is complete, the computer will boot up in the selected restore point.
- Finally, inspect whether you are still getting this problem or not.
Uninstall any Current Software Installed on the Computer
If you face 0xC0000185 error after the installation of a new application, then the only solution that you have is to remove it from your machine. But, first, you need to start the machine in safe mode. Then, uninstall the current software which you can do by following the below steps:
- First, make sure the computer is switched off. Now, tap on the power button to turn the machine on and keep it pressed to power it off again. Repeat this step for more than two times until the ‘Preparing Automatic Repair’ screen comes up.
- Now, wait for the screen ‘Diagnosing your PC’ to show up. After that, a screen with a blue background pops up with a heading ‘Startup Repair’.
- Within that screen, navigate to the button ‘Advanced Options’ and tap on it. This will launch the screen Windows RE or Recovery Environment.
- On that screen, having the heading ‘Choose an option’, select the option ‘Troubleshoot’. After that, select the ‘Advanced options’.
- Now, on the next window among all the other options present there, choose ‘Startup Settings’. Then, on the next screen, hit the button ‘Restart’. At this moment, the PC will restart. Once the machine starts up, then you will see a screen with various startup options.
- Out of those options, tap the ‘F4’ key to choose the ‘Enable Safe Mode’ option.
- The computer will restart and boot in ‘Safe Mode. Then, follow the sub-steps below:
- Hit both the ‘Windows + R’ keys simultaneously to open the ‘Run’ dialog box. Within that dialog box, type “control panel” and tap the ‘Enter’ key.
- This will launch the ‘Control Panel’ window. Now, on that window, navigate and choose the option ‘Programs’.
- After that, on the next page of this window, select the option ‘Program and Features’. Now, you will see all the applications installed on the machine within a list. From that list, locate and choose the currently installed software.
- Next, right-click on it and then select the ‘Uninstall’ option from the popup menu. When the uninstaller comes up, follow the on-screen instructions and hit the ‘Uninstall’ button to remove the application from the computer.
- Once the removal process is complete, reboot the computer in normal mode.
Execute the BSOD or Blue Screen of Death Troubleshooter Tool
If somehow the machine has recovered from the Windows error code 0xC0000185, then the first thing to do is to execute the built-in BSOD Troubleshooter. This can help you to completely remove this error from happening. For that, follow the steps beneath:
- First, tap on the combination of ‘Windows + I’ keys simultaneously to launch the ‘Windows Settings’.
- Once this window comes up, navigate and click on the option ‘Update & Security’. This will open a new page within this window. Go to the left pane and choose the option ‘Troubleshoot’.
- Next, on the right panel of that window, scroll down a little bit and select the option ‘Blue Screen’ under the heading ‘Find and fix other problems’. After that, choose the button ‘Run the troubleshooter’.
- Now, a new window comes up which will start to search for the problem. Once this tool finds out about the error, the Troubleshooter will automatically attempt to solve it.
- After the problem is sorted out, the machine will restart once again to apply any changes.
Inspect the Hard Disk Drive
Sometimes, you encounter the error code 0xC0000185 if the internal hard disk present within your system starts to malfunction. The only way to solve this issue is to perform a ‘Disk Check’ to repair the hard disk from any kind of glitches. Follow the instruction beneath to execute this:
- First, double-click on the ‘This PC’ folder to open it.
- After that, go to the disk drive where the ‘Windows OS’ is installed. Now, right-click on it and press the ‘Properties’ option from the popup menu.
- Now, a dialog box will come up. Tap on the tab ‘Tools’.
- Under that tab, go to the section ‘Error-checking’ and tap on the button ‘Check’. This will initiate the disk checking procedure.
- The process may take some time to complete. This process basically inspects any glitches and repair them.
- Once the total process is over, then reboot the computer. After the computer starts up, inspect whether this issue is resolved or not.
Execute the Disk Cleanup Tool
When you visit any website on your computer, some unnecessary files get downloaded. This stay on the hard drive. Now, if you do not get rid of them, then those files accumulate the system storage from time to time. And thus, when some of the junk files get corrupted or the storage space is full, you get such problems.
To solve this glitch, you need to eliminate those junk files from the system. For that, launch the ‘Disk Cleanup’ tool to clear the system storage. Follow the steps below, in order to do it:
- First, tap on the ‘Cortana Logo’ to open the search text area. Now, within that area, type “disk cleanup” and then hit ‘Enter’.
- After that, from the search result, choose the option ‘Disk Cleanup’. This opens a new window that has a similar name as the option you chose on the last line.
- Now, the tool will allow you to select which drive to clean. Most of the times, select the drive which has the Operating System.
- Next, the tool will calculate the amount of disk space you can get after the cleanup process beside the label ‘Total amount of disk space you gain’.
- Even, from the list, there is a possibility for you to choose the other folders which you want to clean.
- Finally, to remove all the junk files just tap on the button ‘Clean up system files’ and wait for the removal process to complete.
You will be able to rectify the error code 0xC0000185 if you follow all the steps of each and every point carefully. But, even after following all the steps, if you still cannot solve this error, then worry not. Just, provide a description of the problem that you have encountered on the comment section underneath the lower section of the web page.