Steam is a well-known platform for online gamers and social networking purposes. But it is not free from glitches. Many users are complaining about the ‘Steam game won’t launch’ issue. The Steam servers might get congested severely and that’s why the users are encountering this kind of error.
But don’t worry because we have prepared some excellent fixes to resolve the matter. Whatever the cause be, the fixes will definitely solve the Steam issue. Let’s get started with the fixes.
Probable Fixes for the Steam Game Won’t Launch Issue:
We have arranged the fixes according to their appliance and reliability. Thus, you are requested to apply the following fixes as they are mentioned in this guide. Keep patience while you apply the fixes.
Fix 1: Restart your Computer
This is the first and foremost task that you should apply to fix an application error. Your device can restrict the application due to the overuse of CPU disk storage. A restart will help your device to get rid of all the running background applications.
Follow these guidelines to get a quick restart of your computer.
- Click the Windows logo at the bottom-left corner of your PC.
- Opt for the Power option.
- When it expands, you need to choose the Restart option.
Wait a while until the computer restarts. After the PC has restarted successfully, you should try launching Steam. Consider removing all the attached cables to your PC except the power one.
Fix 2: Restart the Steam Application
If the Steam game won’t launch Windows 10 is giving you a headache, then you can choose this fix. Go through this simple process to restart Steam.
- You have to right-click on the Taskbar. A context menu should appear. Well, you can use the following shortcut: Windows+X.
- Select the Task Manager option from the context menu.
- Go to the tab of Processes. Locate the processes of Steam.
- Select them and opt for the End Task option at the bottom of the window.
You have to do this same method for each and every Steam process you have located unless any of them won’t work. Now, try restarting Steam. If you didn’t find any Steam process, then you have to move on to the next fixes.
Fix 3: Opt for a Windows Update
If the Steam game won’t launch on Windows 10 still now, then make sure that you have updated your Windows 10 operating system. Even after a Windows update, you can encounter the same error. This can happen due to the faulty installation of the Windows 10 update.
Follow the basic guidelines provided here to get a proper Windows update.
- Go to the Settings app of your PC. In case you are using Windows 10, just press Windows and the I key at the same time to launch the Settings app.
- Go to the Update and Security section.
- Then, opt for the Windows Update option from the left pane of the window. On the right pane, click on the Check for Updates option.
- Wait until the updates get successfully installed on your Windows PC. Reboot your PC when you are done.
Launch the Steam to check if you can load the games now.
Fix 4: Update the Video Drivers
If none of the above fixes is working for Steam, then you can give this fix a try. A faulty or outdated driver can cause this issue. You need to update or reinstall them. Consider the following instructions to eradicate the Steam game won’t launch issue.
- Go to the Search bar by clicking the Start menu. Type ‘device manager’ there.
- Select the Device Manager option from the results.
- Once the Device Manager window appears, double-click on the Display Adapters option. It should expand.
- You can notice the Graphics Card. Right-click on the Graphics Card.
- Select the Update Driver option from the context menu.
- Next, you have to choose either the Automatic or Manual search for the driver-update. Choose the option according to your choice.
Once you have completed the driver-update, now you can launch Steam. Check if the error still persists.
Fix 5: Examine the RAM
The RAM installed on your computer can often cause this issue. Memory issues related to the RAM can interfere with the gameplay functions. Use the steps below to resolve the Steam error.
- Quit all the programs launched on the computer.
- Open the Search bar on your device and type ‘mdsched’. Press Enter.
- Select the Windows Memory Diagnostic option among the shown results.
- A pop-up box should appear and you should opt for the ‘Restart now and check for problems (recommended)’ option.
- The above step will run a memory check. It may consume some time; make sure that you should not interrupt. After that, it will restart your system.
- Once the device has restarted, type ‘event’ on the Search bar. Choose the Event Viewer option from the results.
- Make sure that you have selected the Windows Logs menu from the left pane. Next, click the System option on the same left pane. Right-click on the System option. Opt for the ‘Filter current log’ option.
- Click the drop-down next to the Event Sources. Set it as the MemoryDiagnostics-Results by checking the box next to it.
- Now, you will be headed towards the Event Viewer. Check each event there and find out if there is an error with the RAM. If no error is detected, then you can go to the next fixes.
- If you have got any RAM error, then you need to reseat the RAM.
Check if the issue has been resolved.
Fix 6: Repair Steam
If you haven’t found a proper solution to the Steam error, then you can repair the Steam. You can use the in-built repair feature of the Steam. Use the following guidelines to remove the error from your system.
- Make sure that you have made a backup of all your game files. Next, you have to fetch the Steam folder on your system. Open the File Explorer or the My Computer icon. Go to the C drive.
- There you have to locate ‘steamapps’ with the help of the Search bar. Right-click on the Steamapps folder and copy it to the Documents folder.
- Again, right-click on the same Steamapps folder and opt for the Open File Location option.
- Now, go to the official Steam website. From there, you have to download the Steam Installer. Install the Installer and run to repair the Steam.
Now, you might try launching Steam.
Fix 7: Reinstall Steam
Before you opt for this fix, make sure that you have got a backup of all your game files. So, you can access all the games with all the past-achievements. Now, let’s move on with the following steps.
- You should quit all the tasks associated with the Steam through the Task Manager.
- Next, search for the Control Panel through the Search bar of the Start menu. Open the Control Panel.
- Go to the Uninstall a Program option.
- Locate Steam from the list and select it. Now, opt for the Uninstall/Change option.
- After you have uninstalled Steam, you can download the application from the official steam website.
- Keep patience until the Steam gets installed on your device, properly.
Open the Steam application and look out if you can notice the same error.
Hopefully, the guide has helped you to deal with the Steam game won’t launch issue. Moreover, you can adjust the date and time settings if you are still encountering the error on Steam. Additionally, you can disable the third-party antivirus if you have installed one on your system.