While using Outlook application, if you are unable to receive or send any kind of emails, then it means that you can get the error Outlook not receiving emails. There are various types of reasons why does this problem occurs after all. Some of those common causes are that if the network connectivity is weak or poor, then there is a possibility for facing this error. Further, when the SMTP authentication is not activated, if the email messages are stored on a different location, then this technical glitch can crop up. Moreover, if the inbox is full, the email, forwarding settings are not correctly set up, etc then also you might get this problem in your Outlook email.
Possible Methods to Resolve the Outlook Not Receiving Emails Issue:
This section of the article will provide you with various solutions that help you to easily correct this problem.
Method 1: Inspect the Network Connectivity
If there is no or weak network connectivity, then due to that reason there is a high chance for you to get this Outlook won’t receive email problem. To effectively check the connectivity of the network, all you have to do is first power off the router or modem and wait for one or two minutes and then restart the device. If you get back the connection, then perform the following.
- First, launch the Outlook application. Then, go to the right-hand corner at the bottom of the application window and see if there is a message that says ‘Disconnected’ or ‘Trying to connect’ or ‘Working Offline’. If there is no message at all, then it means that there is a connection with the email server.
- After that, go to the ribbon and then tap on the ‘Send/Receive’ tab.
- Next, locate the group ‘Preferences’ and tap on the option ‘Work Offline’. Now, you will get the message ‘Connected to Server’ at the bottom of the window.
- Once again, navigate to the group Send & Receive and then, tap on the button ‘Send/Receive All Folders.
- Finally, check if all the messages are within the ‘Sent’ or ‘Outbox’ folder.
Method 2: New Profile Creation Procedure
If the profile of the Outlook application gets corrupted somehow, then for that reason, you can get the Outlook not receiving emails error. To solve this error, the only solution is to make a new profile and set it up with the email account. In order to do it, follow the steps presented below.
- File, open the application. Then, go to the menu bar and choose the ‘File’ menu item.
- After that, tap on the option ‘Account Settings’. Next, from the drop-down menu that pops up, select the ‘Manage Profiles’ option.
- Now, under the option that you have chosen on the previous line, select ‘Show Profiles’.
- When the new dialog box comes up, then tap on the button ‘Add’. Next, another new window will show up, where input the name of the new profile on the field ‘Profile Name’ and then tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- After that, to set your email account within the newly created profile, follow the on-screen instructions.
- Once the email account has been set up, then start the Outlook application once again.
- Now, again go to the ‘File’ menu and then choose the option ‘Account Settings’. Then, from the drop-down list, select the option ‘Change Profile’.
- Next, when the message box with the text ‘Outlook Will Close” shows up, then simply tap on the ‘OK’ button.
- Repeat the sixth step of this point.
- Finally, select the new profile’s name that you have created recently from the list ‘Profile Name’ and hit the ‘OK’ button.
Method 3: Switch on the SMTP Authentication
When the SMTP authentication settings are not correctly set, then you can get this Outlook not receiving emails problem. Now, to mitigate this problem, all you have to do is to turn the SMTP authentication on. To do that, follow the lines described below.
- First, launch the Outlook software. After that, navigate the menu item ‘Tools’ on the menu bar.
- Next, from the popup menu, choose the ‘Accounts’ option.
- Now, from the left panel of the ‘Accounts’ dialog box, choose the email account.
- Then, choose the ‘Outgoing Server’ option. Under this option, select the sub-option ‘More Options’.
- On the menu that appears next, choose the type of authentication.
- At last, input all the credentials by following the information that comes on your screen.
Method 4: Inspect the Forwarding Settings
If the email forwarding settings are not set correctly, then this issue might come up also. Thus, to get rid of the problem Outlook stopped receiving emails, the best solution is to examine the forwarding setting within the Outlook software. Follow the steps underneath.
- First, launch the ‘Outlook’ application and tap on the button ‘Settings’.
- Then, from the popup options menu, select the option ‘View All Outlook Settings’.
- After that, go to the left panel of the application and tap on the option ‘Mail’.
- Next, go to the right pane of the window and select the ‘Forwarding’ option.
- At last, select the sub-option ‘Stop Forwarding’ and after that, tap on the ‘Save’ button.
Method 5: Remove All Emails from the Inbox
When the inbox of your Outlook account is full, then there is no chance for you to either send or receive emails. Therefore, because of this cause, you might be confronted with the problem of Outlook not receiving emails. Now, to eradicate this issue, one of the easiest solutions that you have is to simply remove or delete emails from the inbox, so as to create space within it. For that to happen, follow these steps below.
- First, locate an unnecessary and choose an email message.
- After that, navigate to the reading panel and tap on the option ‘Delete’. This command will take the removed email message to a ‘Deleted Items’ folder.
- In order to get rid of more unwanted messages, repeat the above two steps.
- Once all the not required emails are gone from the inbox, then go to the ‘Folders’ option. Under this option, choose the sub-option ‘Deleted Items’ folder.
- At last, choose the option ‘Empty folder’ just at the top of the list of messages, in order to eliminate all the emails permanently.
Method 6: Examine the Rules of Email Messages on Outlook
When the settings or rules of the emails messages within Outlook application are altered by you, then, in that case, you might encounter this error. Now, the solution to solve this glitch is to just examine the rules of email. Follow the below lines to perform the inspection thoroughly.
- First, launch the Outlook and then search for the ‘Settings’ button inside it.
- Next, form a menu that comes up, choose the option ‘View Full Settings’.
- On the new page within this window only, navigate to the left panel and select the option ‘Mail’. Then, move to the right panel within the same page and select the option ‘Rules’.
- After that, locate any settings that might not allow to view and receive the email messages.
- If any such problematic rules are found, then simply choose it and tap on the option ‘Edit’. Next, alter the working structure of the rule and hit the ‘Save’ button.
- Finally, if you want to remove a rule, then choose that specific setting and tap on the ‘Delete’ button.
You can resolve the Outlook not receiving emails error if you carefully follow all the points on the previous section. But, even after following all the points in the above section, if you still cannot correct this problem, then do not worry at all. Just, provide the details of the problem that you have faced on the comment section below this page.