If you want to work with multiple applications, then using a second monitor is always an easy and convenient option. When you connect an external display it automatically gets connected and starts to play. However, your Windows 10 might not be able to detect the second monitor occasionally. This generally occurs due to driver or hardware related issues. So, in case you are unaware of the exact process to remove the error with the utmost care, then this article is for you. Go through the guidelines that are given below to implement it accordingly to get rid of the error the second monitor has not detected.
Best 4 Solutions to Fix the Second Monitor not Detected Windows 10:
Any error associated with the system is always dangerous. So is the case for the second monitor not detected Windows 10 error. Hence, taking preventive measures and removing the error at the earliest is always a wise decision. So, follow the steps given below to resolve the error without further hassle.
Solution 1: Roll Back to a Video Driver Installed Previously
At times, it might happen that some of the latest drivers do not work correctly on Windows 10. Hence, to identify what exactly is creating the problem, it is an effective choice to roll back to the video driver that you have installed previously. To do so, follow the steps stated below:
- Press the Windows logo key and R on your keyboard to invoke the Run box.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” and hit the Enter key.
- Now, right-click on your display device software which is located in the Display adapters section, then select the Properties option.
- Choose the Driver tab and select the Roll Back Driver option.
- Then, follow the instructions that come on-screen.
- After the process is completed, restart your computer, and check whether Windows can now detect your second monitor.
Solution 2: Update the Video Driver
When the above steps do not help you to recognize your second monitor, then it is quite obvious you are using an incorrect driver. Hence, to get the right driver you have to follow two ways, update it manually or automatically.
To perform the manual driver update, go to the manufacturer’s website and search for the most recent driver for your video card. Make sure that you have selected the driver that is compatible.
Moreover, you can also use the automatic method to update the exact and correct driver.
Solution 3: Ensure that the Monitor Refresh Rates are Set appropriately
Any monitor’s refresh rate is denoted by the number of times the screen refreshes the images in a second. That is why the refresh rate plays a crucial role when two monitors are connected to Windows 10 together. Even some Graphics Card does not support different refresh rates. And that if the monitors have different refresh rates, then chances are higher that your second monitor can’t be detected. Hence, follow the steps to ensure that the refresh rates are set properly.
- Hold down the Windows logo key on your keyboard, then hit the I key.
- On the pop-up Settings window, click on the System icon.
- Click on the Advanced Display Settings which are located under the Display section.
- For Display 1, select the Display Adapter Properties
- Then, for Display 2, click on the Display Adapter Properties.
- Under the Monitor sections, check the Screen refresh rates for both the monitors.
- If you see that the rates are different, then either set them to the same or change one of them.
- Now, save your changes by clicking on the Apply option followed by the OK button. Then, check if your second monitor is detected successfully.
- And if you notice that the rates have already been set, then try another fix.
Solution 4: The Project Mode Needed to be Changed
Because of the incorrect Project Mode settings, at times your second monitor cannot be detected. Hence, follow the two steps given below to change the Project Mode settings:
- Hold down the Windows logo key on your keyboard, then hit the P key.
- In case, you want to display the same screen on your two monitors, select the Duplicate option. Now, choose the Extend option if you require more work.
That’s all about the fixes. By now you will be able to resolve the problem by following the above methods exactly as instructed. As a result, you will be able to extend your desktop to the second monitor. However, if still second monitor not detected Windows 7, then the best option is to look for a technician’s help.