While browsing a website, you may suddenly see an exclamation sign on a yellow triangle while displayed over your network. This indicates that a network error has occurred. Oftentimes, it may display an error message saying that ‘windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings’. This issue can be caused due to a number of reasons. However, you can try to fix this by following these easy solutions given below. Follow them one by one until a solution resolves the problem on your system.
Solution 1 : Disable Proxy Server Settings
Sometimes, proxy server settings may be mistakenly activated on your system even though you may not use it. Thus, you need to disable it by following the steps given below.
- Press the Windows key and the ‘R’ key together to open the Run dialogue box.
- Here, type ‘inetcpl.cpl’ and hit the Enter button.
- Then, choose the Connection option from above and click the LAN settings button.
- Here, make sure that the proxy settings checkbox is not selected. Click on it again to uncheck it if it is.
- Save your changes and close the window. Thereafter, try to access any site to check if the problem has been resolved.
Solution 2 : Reset TCP /IP Settings
Another way to resolve ‘windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings’ on Windows 10 is by resetting the TCP/IP settings. This can be done by following the given steps.
- Press the Window key and the X key together on your keyboard. From the menu, choose the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
- Here, type ‘netsh int ip reset’ and press the enter key. Thereafter, wait for the process to be completed.
- After that, restart your system and check if the issue has been fixed or not.
Solution 3 : Disable or Uninstall Antivirus
You may think uninstalling the antivirus may harm your computer, but luckily there is Windows Defender on your Windows 10. It will protect your device when you uninstall the antivirus.
Many users reported that they fixed this proxy related issue due to the antivirus installed on their device. The antivirus can interrupt and can be the reason behind the issue windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings. Hence, you should try to resolve this problem by uninstalling the antivirus.
Solution 4 : Perform System Restore
If your device is showing this error message more frequently, you should perform a System Restore and check if it solves the problem or not. Many users reported that they have faced this issue after installing new applications. Hence, follow the steps below.
- Press the Window key and the S key together on your keyboard to open the Search menu. Here, type ‘System Restore’ and press enter.
- Next, you will see a list of recently restored points. Check Show additional restore points, if you find it. Now you have to choose the restore point according to your preference.
- After that, click on the Next button to continue.
- Finish the restoration process by following the on-screen instructions.
The issue should get fixed after going through this restoration process. Thus, try to access any website to see if the error message is still appearing or not.
Solution 5 : Perform an SFC Scan
You can face this problem due to a corrupted file. Thus, you can fix this issue by performing an SFC scan. To do that, follow the steps below.
- Press Windows + X keys together to open the Quick menu. Here, choose the Command Prompt (Admin) option.
- Next, type ‘sfc /scannow’ and press the Enter key.
- After that, the SFC scan will start and take quite some time. Make sure that you do not interrupt the process.
After the scan is done, check if the problem is there or not. If you still see the error message, then perform a DISM scan as well. Follow the steps below to do so.
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator from Windows + X quick menu.
- Then, type ‘DISM / Online / Cleanup-Image / RestoreHealth’ and press enter.
- Again, wait for the process to be finished.
After the DISM scan is done, check if the problem is resolved or still there. If you were facing a problem while running the SFC scan, try to run it after running the DISM scan. Your issue should be fixed after using these tools.
Solution 6 : Reset Internet Settings
Misconfigured Internet settings can be one of the reasons behind the error. If that is the scenario, then go through the following steps to reset it.
- Press the Windows key and the S key together. Then, type ‘Internet Option’ and press enter.
- Click on the Advanced tab that you will find on the top right corner. Click the Reset button.
- You will see the option to clear your personal data. To do it, check Delete personal settings.
- You can click on Restore advanced settings. Though it is not mandatory.
- Select Apply and save the changes by clicking on the OK button.
Check if the issue is fixed after the Internet settings have been reset.
Solution 7 : Restart Network Adaptor
This is a very simple procedure which you can use to resolve the problem ‘windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings’. Do this by following the steps below:
- On the bottom right corner you will find a network icon. Right-click on it and select the option Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Select the option Change adapter settings from the left side menu.
- Find the network connection, select Disable after right-clicking on that.
- Now select the option Enable after right-clicking on the network connection. After this procedure your problem should get fixed.
Solution 8 : Check DNS Settings
Many users reported that they fixed this issue by obtaining their DNS server address automatically. You may like to set your DNS by yourself, but automatic settings can help to fix this problem. Hence, follow the steps below to do it:
- Go to the Network and Sharing Center and choose Change adapter settings.
- Find the network connection, select Properties after right-clicking it.
- Choose the option Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP /IPv4) and click the Properties button.
- Choose the option to Obtain DNS server address automatically and save the changes by clicking on the OK button. Now check if you are still facing the problem.
Solution 9 : Try Network Troubleshooter
Another easy way to fix this issue by running the network troubleshooter. Here are the steps to do it:
- Go to the Update & security after opening the Setting option from the Start menu.
- Choose Troubleshoot from the left pane and select Run the troubleshooter from the right pane.
- Complete the process by following the on-screen instructions after opening the Troubleshooter. Once the process is completed, it may automatically try to fix the issue. Thereafter, check if it fixes the problem or not.
In conclusion, following the above instructions should help you to fix the misconfigured network’s proxy settings. This can get mistakenly turned on through a VPN service or other extensions. Although it can work through a VPN, it does not work without it. Thus, you should ensure that it is disabled when you are not using the VPN software.