Windows update error code 80080005 is one of the most annoying errors that appear while updating your Windows PC. Most of the times, users encounter this Windows error when the Windows system files get corrupted. Outdated drivers also can be the reason for this problem. When this error occurs, the startup programs become slower and start freezing and crashing as well. If you are facing this error, it is essential to identify the exact cause of the error before troubleshooting it with appropriate solutions. In this article, we are providing on how to fix Windows update error code 80080005 instantly.
Causes to Encountering Windows Update Error Code 80080005
There will be more that one reason for which you can face this typical update error in your computer. Let’s have a look:
- Damaged Windows system files
- Improper deletion of applications
- Outdated drivers
- Improper shutdown of the system
- The installation of unnecessary programs
- Malware infection
Easy Techniques to Resolve Windows Update Error Code 80080005
Here are some expert solutions which will help you to fix the issue in no time. So, try to follow the hacks provided below.
Hack 1: Run the System File Checker
The basic fix you can try first is to run a System file checker scan to get rid of this issue. Then, you can also repair the corrupted files along with the integrity violations. To run the SFC scan in Windows 10, you have to follow the instructions stated below:
- At first, right click on the Start Menu and go to the Command Prompt section.
- In the Command Prompt Section, type ‘sfc/scannow’ and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Then, the SFC scan will scan your whole device. Don’t cancel the scan process until it finishes completely. After scanning, it will show the corrupt files of your Device.
- After scanning, if you find any corrupt files in your device, type this command and press the ENTER key.
“findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >”%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt.”
- You can find the details of the SFC scan on the sfcdetails.txt file which will appear on the Screen.
- After about half an hour when the SFC scan completes, if the scan reports that Windows Resource Protection fixed something, then you need to reboot your computer device and check if you are still facing the error or not.
Hack 2: Install the .Net Framework:
The next way to resolve the error 80080005 is to install the Microsoft .NET framework properly. So, go through the easy steps cited below:
- First of all, click and hold the Windows logo key and R button at the same time. This will open the Run dialogue box.
- After that, type ‘Control’ there and hit Enter.
- Go to the Control Panel section and open the Programs and Features option.
- Next, select all the items that start with “Microsoft .NET” and click on Uninstall/Change.
- Now, follow the on-screen directions to uninstall those items. Then, open the .NET Framework website and check if you are still encountering the Windows update error code 80080005.
Hack 3: Download the SSU
Basically, SSU means the Service Stack Update. It will assist you to resolve this issue. Therefore, you have to download the SSU first. But before downloading that, you need to ensure that whether you are using the 32 bit or 64 bit Windows. Just go through the below instructions:
- Firstly, look for whether you are using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.
- Then, you need to hit on the Start option from the computer home screen and then select the Setting option.
- After that, click on the System option.
- Now, click on About and look for System Type.
- The SSU version should match the version of Microsoft Update Catalog.
- After downloading, you need to restart your system in order to check if you are still receiving the error 80080005.
Hack 4: Edit the Registry
The central archive of the system is the registry. It contains all the data that is on your PC. Therefore, even a single wrong entry in the registry is dangerous and might cause error 80080005. Here are the steps that will help you to edit the registry:
- At first, click on the Start button and then select the Run option.
- In the dialogue box, type regedit and then click on the OK button.
- After the Registry Editor opens, go to the following key:
- In the Registry Editor window, click on the Edit option that appears on the toolbar.
- Then, Find and type the exact value and right click on the ‘Windows’ entry that appears.
- After that, click on the Modify option.
- When the ‘Edit String’ dialogue box appears, locate SharedSection in the “Value Data” box.
- Add 512 to SharedSection and click on the OK option.
- This method helps to increase the CPU memory and thereby helps in eliminating the error.
Hack 5: Disable the Third-Party Antivirus Software
If any third-party antivirus tool performs like a default antivirus, Windows update fails to work. If you are experiencing this error, then you have to uninstall such a tool or software temporarily. Now, follow the steps mentioned below to turn off such software.
- First of all, open the Start menu and select the Settings option.
- After that, you can move to the System section.
- Here, you need to locate the ‘Apps and features’ option. You can find it on the left pane.
- When a list of all applications appears on the screen of your device, you need to click on the preferred app that you want to uninstall.
- Now, click on the Uninstall button.
- When you will get a confirmation notification, confirm it. Thus, you can remove the software from your device.
- Finally, check if the error is fixed or not. If not, try to apply the next method.
Hack 6: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Running the Windows troubleshooter can automatically fix the error codes related to Windows update. So, you can try this method to fix this Windows update error code as well. To perform this, just follow the easy directions cited below:
For Windows 10 User:
- First of all, go to the Search box and type Windows Update.
- Then, select the Windows Update settings.
- Now, you can find the Troubleshoot option on the left of the screen.
- After that, choose ‘Windows Update’, and then select ‘Run the troubleshooter’. After clicking on this option, the troubleshooter will run automatically.
- Now, follow the instructions which appear on the screen to complete this process.
- Choose the Windows Update again to check if the error is resolved or not.
For Windows 8 User:
- Go to the search box and type ‘Network problems’.
- Then, find the ‘Identify and repair network problems’ option from the list.
- Now, follow the steps on the wizard to diagnose and repair the network problems.
- Try to perform the Windows Update again.
For Windows 7 User:
- First of all, go to the Notification area and find the Network icon.
- Then, select the ‘Troubleshoot problems’ option.
- Follow the steps one-by-one which will appear on the wizard to diagnose the network problem.
Hack 7: Turn Off the Windows Update Service
If you still face this problem in your device, you can fix such error messages by performing this easy method. So, you can follow the easy steps below to stop the Windows Update Service.
- Firstly, go to the Start button and click on the Control Panel section.
- Then, enter ‘Administrative Tools’ in the search box and press the Enter key.
- Now, select Services.
- Next, you will be asked to enter a password. Enter an appropriate password and choose Name column heading.
- After that, you need to type a name and right click on it.
- Lastly, click the Stop option.
- Now, check if the error persists or not.
Hack 8: Reset Windows Update Components
At times, the Windows update components can be the cause of this trouble. So, you need to fix it by resetting the necessary components manually. This process is relatively simple and it is worth a try. Get a look below:
- First of all, open Command Prompt as administrator.
- In the Command prompt section, type the following commands:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptSvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Don’t forget to hit Enter after each of the commands.
- After doing that, all components are restarted automatically.
- Finally, figure out whether this error message still occurs or not.
Hack 9: Update the Media Creation Tool
Media Creation Tool is a tool that comes with Windows10 which helps to improve the digital delivery of the device. You can use this feature to force the updates which will help you to resolve this problem. So, follow the below guidelines carefully and apply them in your own way:
- At first, download the Media Creation tool.
- Next, you have to back up all of the data in your computer and the license key.
- Then, invoke the Desktop Client and choose the ‘Upgrade this PC’ option.
- This tool will automatically run and help in installing the updates forcefully.
- Reboot your device and check whether you still encounter this issue or not.
- If you still face this error, then you can try the other methods in this article to overcome this issue.
Hack 10: Perform a System Restore
To perform a system restore, follow all the steps cited below:
- Go to the search bar.
- Type ‘create a Restore point’.
- Now, select the item which will appear on the screen.
- After that, select the ‘System Protection’ option, and then click on ‘System Restore’.
- Choose Next.
- When you can see a list of all the available restore points, choose the most recent restore point. Select the Next option again.
- Now, select the Finish option.
- After selecting, it will run automatically. Wait for a couple of seconds for this process to finish completely.
- Now, check whether you can install the Windows updates or not.
Hack 11: Run the DISM Tool
This is the last option left for you to fix this error code. Generally, the DISM tool is the inbuilt tool for Windows system. With the help of this ‘Deployment Image Servicing and Management’ or DISM tool, you can easily fix this problem on your PC. So, you can try the following steps to perform this:
- At first, you need to press the Windows logo key and the R key combination on the keyboard to open the Run box.
- Now, type ‘cmd’ in this search box and press the Shift, Ctrl and Enter key together to run the Command Prompt section as an administrator.
- When a dialogue box will appear on the screen for permission, go for the Yes option to run the tool.
- Next, type the following command line
“Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth”
After typing the command, press the Enter key. Wait for sometimes to complete the whole action.
- Also, type “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth” and press the Enter key again. It will check whether the Windows 10 image of your device corrupted or not.
- After completing it, type this: “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” command.
- After completing the restoration process, close the Command Prompt.
- Now, try to run the update again to check if the issue is resolved or not.
Summing it Up
The above methods can help you to get rid of the Windows update error code 80080005. Hope these solutions are helpful to you. You can perform them on the system to mitigate this problem. If you encounter any problem while applying the fixes, then you can leave your feedback below.