CompatTelRunner.exe is an executable file present in the Windows Operating System. It falls under the category of system files, which also takes part when you update or upgrade your OS.
It is also known as Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry or Compatibility Telemetry and you can find this file in your computer’s system folder.
Here, we will discuss all the details of the Compatibility Telemetry executable file. We will also discuss the steps to disable the system file. So, you need to follow all the points that are given below to resolve issues with compatTelRunner.exe.
Steps to Deal with CompatTelRunner.exe or Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry
Many people assume the CompatTelRunner executable file is a virus, some kind of malware or spyware. As per the experts, it is not a virus but, it can get affected by viruses. As a result, it can slow down your computer as well as the disk processing.
In some cases, high disk usages, unknown software installation without any notification and few other problems might take place. If the CompatTelRunner.exe file is responsible for these problems, you need to disable it as soon as possible.
How to Disable CompatTelRunner.exe System File?
In order to disable the CompatTelRunner file, you need to follow some points which are given below.
- Click on the Windows “Start” button and type “Task Scheduler”. You will see that the application will appear under the “Best Match” category.
- Now, double-click on the application to open the “Task Scheduler” dialog box. You can see the list of folders present on the left side of the box.
- Find the “Application Experience” folder and click to open it. After opening the folder, you will see the executable file. So, right-click on it and choose “Disable”.
You can also delete the file if somehow it gets enabled again. Here are the steps to disable the CompatTelRunner executable system file.
Besides, you can also disable the file using Command Prompt. Here are the steps that you need to follow thoroughly.
- Open the Command Prompt by typing “cmd” in the Run dialog box. Before that, right-click on the cmd and run it as administrator.
- After opening the command prompt, paste the following commands.
sc delete DiagTrack
sc delete dmwappushservice
echo “” > C:\\ProgramData\\Microsoft\\Diagnosis\\ETLLogs\\AutoLogger\\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
reg add “HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Windows\\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
Make sure that you press “Enter” after writing each command line. Hopefully, this will delete the CompatTelRunner executable file.
Delete CompatTelRunner.exe File
In order to delete the file, follow the points given below. But before attempting the delete operation, make sure that you are the admin and logged in with the administrator account.
- Access the system drive of your PC and open the “Windows” folder. Then double-click to open the “System 32” folder.
- Find the executable file and right-click on it to select “Properties”. When the properties window opens, select the “Security” tab and scroll down.
- Click on the “Advanced” option to open the “Advanced Security Settings”. Now click on the “Change” administrator option. It has a shield icon just on the left side.
- A pop-up window will open asking for your permission. Click on “OK” and the “Select User or Group” dialog box will open.
- You will see the “RCSLAPTOP971F test” written, so click on “Check Names”. A Windows Security window will appear, which will inform about the ownership of your object of interest.
After that, you must return to the “Advanced Security Settings” dialog box. Now, click on the particular admin file that was mentioned in the previous point. Click on it and then choose “Edit”.
Thereafter, uncheck the option of “Full Control”. Then return to the “System 32” folder and delete it. We hope that no problem will occur while deleting, as you have disabled the full control feature to access the CompatTelRunner file.
What if CompatTelRunner.exe Refuses to Delete?
If you cannot delete the CompatTelRunner.exe file, it might be affected by any virus. Hence, you need to detect and remove the virus as soon as possible. After that, download any secured antivirus program and install it.
Update all security software’s latest virus definitions and then scan your computer. If you find any virus, remove it immediately. Else, there can be other reasons why you cannot delete the file.
The other reasons include junk files in your system, an outdated Operating System, and many more. So, you can update your OS to its latest version and remove all the junk files.
You can remove such corrupted files with the help of third-party software or using the Command Prompt.
After deleting the .exe file, we hope that it will solve your computer’s high disk usage problem due to Compatibility Telemetry.